Puncture-proof tyres for mixed on/off-road bike

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
I've finally decided to get a 'go-anywhere' (ish!) road bike for more flexibility this Summer - no electric mods (yet!) and going to see how I get on with it "unassisted" :eek:. It's easily up to a decent cross bike in terms of spec and design without being race-oriented and is hopefully going to be nice enough on the tarmac too [ PS the brakes are AMAZING .... don't get me started on the brilliant Shimano 685 road bike shifter system with integrated hydraulic brake levers or I may never shut up - what took them so blooming long ???? !!!) ]

This is the beauty that finally won me over : http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/diverge-comp-smartweld/34093/15diverge

The rims are DT Axis 3.0 and will take up to a 32c clearance to the frame easily, but being unassisted it's a trade-off against the rolling resistance factor now. Riding on the stock tyres is lovely on the tarmac but I don't think I'm going to stay upright on them too long when I veer onto the grass and tracks !

Not got a rack on this bike yet to carry many repair tools'tubes etc. and the front wheel hub has a thru' axle so don't much want to be fixing punctures if I can help it. Likely to be using it on mainly dry/moderately soft ground rather than any major mud and ideally want tyres which aren't going to counteract the benefits of a "10kg with pedals" package too much.

I've had Marathon Plus before but they're not the best grip off-road. Any thoughts of options for a nice compromise with comparable puncture-resistance performance ?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Can't help with the tyres, but that's one very sexy bike. :)

edit.... The thru axle will make changes a doddle, and thinking about tyres, I ran Shwalbe CX pros for a while on the Haibike when I had it. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schwalbe-cx-pro-cyclocross-bike-tyre/rp-prod24614?gs=1&gclid=CKD_y6aw6sUCFVMatAod3G4A9w&gclsrc=aw.ds

I can't answer as to the puncture resistance, but they were certainly a very good tyre, although I did have a couple of pinch flats due to them being under inflated.

I would think that any branded cyclo cross tyre would do the job.

Last edited:
Reactions: 103Alex1
D

Deleted member 4366

That's a lovely bike Alex, but no chance of converting with a standard kit. Damn!

Or does your one have a standard QR rear wheel?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
That link mentions the use of a gel liner between the tire and the inner tube.

I tried this once, and a relataively minor pucture resulted in the liner shreding my inner tube. This happened the moment the tube became deflated with that thing inside. If you don't mind the extra weight then Slim is the way to go, with perhaps a thicker heavier gauge inner tube.

spikey

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2013
You could consider using inner tubes filled with slime that'll fix small punctures.

Last time I inspected my tubes I was surprised at the number of spots where the slime healed the punctures.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
That's a lovely bike Alex, but no chance of converting with a standard kit. Damn!

Or does your one have a standard QR rear wheel?
Yup, standard QR where it's needed ... they thought of things they didn;t even know they had to think about :D

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Can't help with the tyres, but that's one very sexy bike. :)

edit.... The thru axle will make changes a doddle, and thinking about tyres, I ran Shwalbe CX pros for a while on the Haibike when I had it. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schwalbe-cx-pro-cyclocross-bike-tyre/rp-prod24614?gs=1&gclid=CKD_y6aw6sUCFVMatAod3G4A9w&gclsrc=aw.ds

I can't answer as to the puncture resistance, but they were certainly a very good tyre, although I did have a couple of pinch flats due to them being under inflated.

I would think that any branded cyclo cross tyre would do the job.
Thanks Eddie. Got a bit put off when it mentioned they tend to slip on harder ground, which is where I'm likely to use them most. I guess I'll just have to suck some and see what happens, maybe with less aggressive knbbly bits or something.

I picked it up from Bristol earlier in the week and have since been riding in town a bit (gear nightmares stopping at short notice behind drivers with the derailleur after losing my throttle but I guess I'll get used to it eventually ...). Can't wait to get it back to Devon to try it there ... preferably if I can find somewhere flattish until I get a bit fitter again ... 8 months stuck at a desk have absolutely wrecked me and I feel like a puffing billy !

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Oddly I don't even recall how they performed on road, so I guess that they must have been okay.

I can't remember if I let them go with the bike or not, but will pop out later to have a look, just in case I do still have them, and they were different.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
I've just remembered about the old Protek Max inner tubes - still have the original ones I bought about 2 1/2 years ago fitted on the Kalkhoff but they're Schrader valve so I'll have to get some Prestas instead. Much less bothered about the tyre with those installed ...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/michelin-a3-protek-max-road-bike-tube/rp-prod61938

Mulling over all the above I've ordered some Schwalbe Sammy Slick Cyclocross which are on offer at the moment also, and should hopefully do me for the intended "mud-free" start to the Summer (clears throat in a decidedly unconvinced manner as storms and gales rage outside as I type ...) :

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schwalbe-sammy-slick-cyclocross-tyre/rp-prod48565

Hopefully this combo won't leave me cussing over a puncture if I did get one. They'll certainly test the claims that the rims and frame will take "up to 35c". Rob's post convinced me to go wide .... let's face it I'm not going to be winning any accelerating competitions for now anyway !!!

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Rob's post convinced me to go wide .... let's face it I'm not going to be winning any accelerating competitions for now anyway !!!
The stuff about wider tyres rolling as well or better is counter intuitive, but appears to be true.

Continental publish similar data.

Wider tyres also equals fewer punctures.

You weigh very little, which when spread over the wider contact area, should make punctures even less likely.

Not the end of the world if you get one.

I think we are conditioned on here to the difficulties of fixing a puncture on a heavy ebike with a hub motor or hub gears.

Changing a tube on your new bike will be a doddle.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
The stuff about wider tyres rolling as well or better is counter intuitive, but appears to be true.

I think we are conditioned on here to the difficulties of fixing a puncture on a heavy ebike with a hub motor or hub gears.

Changing a tube on your new bike will be a doddle.
Tyres and tubes procured today after I missed the delivery guy yesterday. Dropped everything and once I'd worked out which way to turn the front through axle (counter-clockwise to loosen) changing the tyres was indeed an ABSOLUTE DODDLE. So was effortlessly flinging the bike in the back of the car and driving it up to a favourite grassy common for a proper test ride (without traffic). The 35s fit absolutley fine in the frame.

I'm well happy. Bike rode brilliantly, Sammy Slicks coped without a hint of instability & brakes were incredible - just need to tap the top of the lever and they fully engage instantly. The whole experience was a world away from the MTB. Getting used to the drop-handlebars took some time but happy with those too now. I am definitely unfit ( :rolleyes: ) but that will hopefully start to change again now I've got some time to myself again.

Definitely going to try to wean myself off dependence on batteries and heavy bikes now !

Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
That's brilliant news Alex. :)

I must admit that the pedal mtb gives me far greater pleasure than the e-mtb.

Sadly I can barely even walk at the moment, so any riding is out, and realistically I'm coming to the conclusion that my knee is never going to be right, but alternating the riding between electric and pedal is a great compromise. Just don't beat yourself over struggling though. :)

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Sorry to hear that about your knee. I guess while we still have use of our various bits they should be put to good use ... you never know when they're going to stop working properly !