Puncture proof tyres

tuniwes

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2020
I initially thought that Tannus tyres would resolve my hatred of punctures, since the bike was delivered April 2020 I've had 10 punctures over 10,0000 miles, I suppose 1 per 1,000 miles on average doesn't sound too bad...let's just go solid, problem solved...It turns out that Tannus do not cater for my 23mm rim that I have built a Rohloff hub on.

Any suggestions?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
I find the Continental contact plus tyre better in the wet than Marathons, slightly more expensive though.

tuniwes

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2020
I'm already running Marathon e plus with slime inner tubes, most of my punctures are glass.
I invested in this stuff from Amazon, and fair play it has got me home after the last 3 punctures.

This week I fitted Tannus Armour inserts....fitting was a doddle and I am now running a 700 x 23 inner tube supplied by Tannus(Schwalbe branded tube) to make room for the extra 15mm of protection on my 700 x 38's

They're not cheap, £80 for the pair but hopefully should put an end to my punctures. Tannus say that in the unlikely event that you do have a puncture you can "Ride flat" without damaging the tyre or the rim

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I did try the Tannus Armour inserts on my eBikes Marathon plus tyres. Fitting them was OK.

However, get them straight in the tyre I could not, and on the front wheel in particular, they caused a lot of wheel wobble, so I took them out.

I currently have a tanuss airless on the real wheel of my lightweight Brompton. Ride quality not the same as the 'standard' of Marathon tyres, but then I wont ever get a puncture, saves a lot of weight too.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
a little sideslip but somebody has made bullet proof bicycle tyres that you can drive over a bed of nails

Reactions: georgehenry

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
soon I hope. Actually, it looks easy to DIY your own bicycle tyres. The material is sold as a coil, you only need to wrap the coil around the rim and put a rolling band over it.

Last edited:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Tubeless ?
I had a chap demonstrate this tech using a bradawl. He stabbed several holes in the tyre to next to no loss of air.

I tried to tell him not to, but he was so taken with it(no doubt after years of snakebites) that he couldn't resist lol.

• :D
Reactions: Woosh