Puncture proof?

Andy Grayland

Pedelecer
Apr 9, 2008
Hi Folks
Last night I got a puncture on my Kalkhoff Agattu. I was doing a 30 mile circular ride and of course I was exactly half way around. Can anyone explain why puctures always occur when you are at your furthest from home, it has gone dark and started raining?
On a more serious note I have studied the forum and it would seem that Marathon plus tyres seem most highly recommended. The tyres on my bike say 28*1.6. I can only find Marathon tyres in 700*32 or 700*35. As 28" is 711mm I am confused. Can anyone tell me what the equivalent size is please? Do you still recomend Marathon plus?
Andy

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
Hi Andy

The 700 x 38C size is good for the Agattu and recommended by many.
Available from AllTerrainCycles

If you like the Schrader type car valve in the tube, then the Schwalbe AV17 tube matches well with this tyre.

If you use a mileometer like a Cateye Velo 5, the circumference is 219 cms.

The PDF downloads from Schwalbe are very good.
The 2008 Bicycle Catalaogue details the Marathon Plus range on Page 29, and you will see that the 700 x 38C is equivalent to a 28" x 1.5" tyre; slightly narrower than the 28" x 1.6", but very close.

The tubes are on page 39.

James

Last edited:

iaing

Pedelecer
May 27, 2008
L31
Agattu (Tasman actually) Tyre Size

Hi Andy

The 700 x 38C size is good for the Agattu and recommended by many.
Available from AllTerrainCycles

If you like the Schrader type car valve in the tube, then the Schwalbe AV17 tube matches well with this tyre.

If you use a mileometer like a Cateye Velo 5, the circumference is 219 cms.

The PDF downloads from Schwalbe are very good.
The 2008 Bicycle Catalaogue details the Marathon Plus range on Page 29, and you will see that the 700 x 38C is equivalent to a 28" x 1.5" tyre; slightly narrower than the 28" x 1.6", but very close.

The tubes are on page 39.

James
Hello James

How about the Schwalbe Marathon Plus 28" 47-622 28 x 1.75?
([www.schwalbe.co.uk/c2-1071-schwalbe-tires-marathon-plus.htm)

Will this fit, do you think?

More rolling resistance but with a better ride? Or am I missing the point again?

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Iain

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
Tyres and mudguards

Hello James

How about the Schwalbe Marathon Plus 28" 47-622 28 x 1.75?
([www.schwalbe.co.uk/c2-1071-schwalbe-tires-marathon-plus.htm)

Will this fit, do you think?

More rolling resistance but with a better ride? Or am I missing the point again?

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Iain
Hi Iain
Yes it would fit the rim, and give a softer ride with a little more rolling resistance.

I recall someone on the forum fitting this size on a bike (?), but I think that it was not a readily available size in the UK. When I have been looking, the 38C has often been the largest size stocked.

If you are fitting larger (fatter) tyres, then the mudguards are the other thing to watch. The spec of the Tasman on the 50cycles site says SKS 45 mudguards, which is the same as the Agattu.

The ProConnect has narrower mudguards (SKS 42) to suit a skinnier tyre, and only just takes the M+ in the 38C size.

Looking at some mudguards on the SKS site, Size 42 mudguards are designed for tyres between 700 x 25 and 700 x 35 and Size 45 mudguards are for tyres between 700 x 28 and 700 x 38.

So, I think that I would stick to a limit of 700 x 38.

James

iaing

Pedelecer
May 27, 2008
L31
Hello James

Thanks very much for your helpful reply. You clearly did a lot of detective work, I thought SKS was some sort of material the mudguards were made of. No idea it is a company complete with website. Rubbish mudguards though.

Iain