Puncture repairs

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Those patch work brilliantly BUT they have a short life and the glue tends to make normal patching impossible.
So they get you home quick and easy but then you have to replace the tube.
Just my experience with them and several others on a roadie forum.

Last edited:

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
Not sure if they are still available, but back in my distant days , some of us 'club' cyclist used latex tubes, they were not puncture proof ,but it was said that they were more supple , so resisted most things that would worry the standard butyl tubes , this was before the advent of the kevlar belted tyre.

another product on the market then was a polymer strip which you'd put in the tyre 'twixt tyre & tube , wasn't successful for me .

then there is the very old trick of putting a worn tyre with the beading cut off inside the new tyre, the ride wasn't very good , but it did work.

Nowadays we fit puncture resistant tyres which are good, but my ,are they expensive!! it cost close on £70 to shod a bike Car tyres are cheaper.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not sure if they are still available, but back in my distant days , some of us 'club' cyclist used latex tubes, they were not puncture proof ,but it was said that they were more supple , so resisted most things that would worry the standard butyl tubes , this was before the advent of the kevlar belted tyre.
Still available, here's an example of one that SJS sell

Broadbeans

Pedelecer
May 21, 2008
Well, Throttle Jockeys

Evening, Throttle Jockeys!

I got my Fly Cobra 'snake' inner tube last Friday, wondering if I would ever need to use it. Well, on Sunday I got a puncture! It was a strange, remote-control sort of puncture, as my fellow e-pal and I had stopped for a rest on a rideout, and we were standing about six feet away from the bike when the back wheel suddenly went pssssssst! Patched it, but not successfully. So it was Cobra to the rescue! It takes about five minutes to put on, and it's been fine all week! :D

Been out today for a chilly ten miles cirlcular along litle ice-bound lanes round Sinderland Road, Altrincham, way, if any of you folks know the area!

Keep kool!

Johnny