Q100/EB306 Current Settings

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
With a decent tail wind you don't want streamlining - You wants a Kite! :)

Speaking of which - Haven't heard from Cwah lately: Hope his brolly didn't drag him under a bus :eek:

Last edited:

Marctwo

Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2012
I tried 120% this morning and it cuts in like a turbo boost without load. But when I got out on it... nothing!

Being mounted as a crank drive, my motor doesn't build up enough speed to activate the turbo. I'd either need to fit a smaller drive cog to the motor or pedal at 150rpm.

D

Deleted member 4366

Being mounted as a crank drive, my motor doesn't build up enough speed to activate the turbo. I'd either need to fit a smaller drive cog to the motor or pedal at 150rpm.
Could we see some photos?

D

Deleted member 4366

It looks pretty to me!
Where did you get those frame clamps?
You should have done a build thread on it. Other people might want to copy it. Is it the 201 rpm motor and what size sprockets have you got on the motor and the crank?

I can see what you mean about the 120%. It only gives more crank speed, not more torque, so you can't realise its advantage

Marctwo

Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2012
Cheers Dave.

For the clamps, search 'truss clamp' on ebay. I'm lucky with this frame as the downtube is 50mm.

I did order the 201rpm motor but it spins way faster than that unloaded. Being new to this game I wouldn't know if that's normal or not.

The chainwheel is 48t, the drive (motor) cog is 18t and the freewheel is 7spd, 11t-30t. I matched all the numbers to give me a comfortable peddal speed @30mph... not that I spend much time at 30. lol.

I may do more of a post-build thread when I get a bit further with it.

D

Deleted member 4366

The motor will run faster than 201 rpm because, you voltage is higher than 36v (42v off the charger), so I'd expect 42/36 x 201 rpm = 234 rpm.

I used a Bafang 201 rpm for mine with 14T on the motor sprocket and 42T on the crank, which felt about the right cadence. Using average 39v, cadence would be 201 x 14/42 x 39/36 = 72 max with good power at 60.

Yours is 201 x 18/48 x 39/36 = 82 max

Changing the motor sprocket to a smaller one will reduce the cadence without changing the power or the gearing on the bike; however, peak power is made at about 2/3 maximum rpm, which would be about 55, which is right where you can add most to it, so looks like you got it right, but it'll out-pedal you in the lower gears.

Marctwo

Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2012
Without load my wheel hits a topspeed of ~45mph. This would suggest a motor speed of ~380rpm if my math is right. It may also suggest that I was sent a high speed motor.

Pedal speed works quite well in the real world. With a slow cadence, the motor is working hard so I change down. With a fast cadence I have enough speed to change up into a comfortable cadence. I'll normally cruise at 20-25mph pedalling at ~75ish. That's about where the motor sounds/feels at it's best. Of course, I have a 3 speed switch for cruising at slower speeds. ;)

D

Deleted member 4366

I take it the 45mph is with the high position on the three-speed switch. My calculation says that a cadence of 82 is about 27 mph, but maybe your motor isn't 201 rpm at 36v.
I had a 350w Bafang CST as a normal hub-motor that span with no load at 18mph without the switch and 33mph with the switch in the high position! It didn't feel any different on the road though.

Marctwo

Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2012
Yes, 45mph @100%. And yes, 82 would be just under 27mph but my motor won't quite do that without a tail wind... or a hill... or a bit of effort from me but that's getting a bit silly now. lol.

Marctwo

Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2012
Managed to get the turbo working.

Opened the throttle in 1st and at 100% I got upto ~14mph, Switched to 120% and felt quite a surge as the turbo kicked in. Got upto ~18mph, that's close to 30% increase.

Couldn't get it going in any other gears as I can't get the motor spinning fast enough to activate it. I may try some smaller drive cogs at some stage though just to see how useful it really is. I wouldn't expect a 30% increase @25mph but I'd be surprised if it didn't get an extra 2 or 3 mph.