Q100C with different batteries on same controller

chris196

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 2, 2014
Hi,
I posted here about a year or so ago about a build I was doing on my wife's bike.
At the time I got the Q100C kit from BMSbattery. It seems to be no longer available as a full kit, but essentially it was the Q100C with a 10Ah bottle battery like this one:
https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-battery/567-36v10ah-bottle-ebike-battery-power-bank-battery.html
It has a continuous discharge of 10 amps. I initially used the provided S06P controller, but was unhappy with rough starts and switched to an integrated S06S sine wave controller. That controller was much better and once I got everything sorted it out, the bike generally performed as expected and I've been happy with it. It's not a high speed bike at all as it's the 201 rpm motor. It achieves about 15-16mph throttle only and my wife is happy with the PAS system.

Now, I'd like to add a kit to my bike to make getting around a little easier. So, it will mostly be the same, a 26 inch wheel. I'd like to keep the kit very close to what I already put on my wife's bike for redundancy. Would like to be able to switch out batteries and even rims if need be.
My big question is if I buy this battery:
https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-battery/675-36v116ah-bottle-ebike-panasonic-battery-battery.html
will it improve the performance with regard to torque. This battery is listed as 15 amps continuous discharge. So, obviously more amps, but will the controller actually use those amps? I can't find the specs for the S06S which provides this information. Here is the controller in question:
https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-kit/668-36v-s06s-sine-wave-integrated-controller-for-new-bottle-case-ebike-kit.html

So, basically is it worth it to buy the upgraded battery and would it have an effect if I put that battery on my wife's bike?

Thanks for your time.

D

Deleted member 4366

To get more torque, you need a different controller. I would use the 260 rpm Q100H with the 36v 14.5Ah 09 bottle battery that has the included 20A controller. The extra 5A will give you 33% more torque, and the 260 rpm will give you 33% more speed. For even more power, you can use the 48v version of that battery with the 201 rpm Q100H. It will still run at 260 rpm, but with another 33% more torque.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
A friend has asked me to build him a bike and I was looking at exactly that configuration. Are the wheels really spoked without a cross like in the photos when they come from BMS battery?

chris196

Jul 2, 2014
Thanks d8veh.
I was trying to staying with the same battery foot print as my other build so that the batteries would be swappable between bikes.
If I used the S12S controller with the 36V 15 amp continuous battery and the Q100C would I see improvements in performance over the S06S with the 10 amp continuous battery?

The configuration you suggest is exactly what I would do if starting from scratch. I'm trying to have the bikes mostly share components, thus my desire to stay with the old battery style.

The other issue is 9 speed compatibility. The Q100C is 9 speed compatible. Is the Q100H?

D

Deleted member 4366

The S12S controller is massive. Make a cardboard box that ize and see if you have somewhere to put it. People have used it for Q100 motors. If you use the full power, it will will break the motor very quickly. 8 speed is a practical maximum for Q100H.

No performance advantage with that battery and controller.

chris196

Jul 2, 2014
Ok thanks.
It's not that I really 9 speed, it's just that's what I have and really don't want to go buy more stuff for the build.

I just need to make a decision about redundancy vs more performance.

chris196

Jul 2, 2014
dev8h,
Finally getting back to this.
If I go with Q100H here:
https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-kit/633-q100h-36v350w-rear-e-bike-motor-wheel-ebike-kit.html

and the battery:
https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-battery/679-36v125ah-bottle-09-e-bike-battery-pack-battery.html#/137-color-black

is there anything else I need.
I don't see a speed sensor included like I had for the Q100C, but it also says this battery/controller combo requires motor to have inner speed sensor.

Just trying to make sure I've got what I need as don't want a second shipping charge.

Thanks.

D

Deleted member 4366

I would buy the speed sensor as well, just in case the motor doesn't have one. I think I heard that they all do have the speed sensors in now,

You will also need one of their spoke keys to adjust the spokes, and a torque arm.

If your motor doesn't have the speed sensor, let me know and I'll explain how to fit the external one.

Last edited by a moderator:

chris196

Jul 2, 2014
d8veh,
do you know if the Q100H from BMS has a freewheel body like the Q100C does? I know you said 8 speed was the practical maximum on the Q100H and that's ok, but do you know if it's the same freewheel hub as the Q100C?

thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
D8veh has been quite of late, the 'h' model uses a threaded freewheel and not a splined cassette.