Q128C Still a good choice?

Neil5403

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2017
Staffs, England ST15
I did a self build 3 years ago and used a Q128C 201/48v rear wheel hub motor in my Specialized Crosstrail.
It has been good to date but I am now considering doing another conversion on a new bike and was wondering if the motor been superseded by a better model or better alternatives are now available.
It has had plenty of power and range and ideally would like the next motor already in a rim, 700c or 29er.
Any pointers ?
Thanks.

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
AKM motors are still the best IMHO, Q-series motors are either unbadged or clones of AKM. They're very reliable and can handle a lot of power for their size because they have a high internal reduction ratio, which means they spin faster for the same bike speed. Other motor makers are also bringing out ones with high reduction ratio, but they're not so easy to find from the regular resellers, who tend to sell the cheaper motors.

Interestingly, AKM were more or less opposite BMSBattery at a Shanghai bike show and BMSB had Q-motors on their stand. When I asked AKM about them, they hadn't a clue about them nor did they know anything about BMSB selling them, which made me think that they're clones, but now, many of these motors from BMSB are genuine AKM with AKM labels.

Neil5403

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2017
Staffs, England ST15
AKM motors are still the best IMHO, Q-series motors are either unbadged or clones of AKM. They're very reliable and can handle a lot of power for their size because they have a high internal reduction ratio, which means they spin faster for the same bike speed. Other motor makers are also bringing out ones with high reduction ratio, but they're not so easy to find from the regular resellers, who tend to sell the cheaper motors.

Interestingly, AKM were more or less opposite BMSBattery at a Shanghai bike show and BMSB had Q-motors on their stand. When I asked AKM about them, they hadn't a clue about them nor did they know anything about BMSB selling them, which made me think that they're clones, but now, many of these motors from BMSB are genuine AKM with AKM labels.
an AKM128c or Q128c is the way to go?
Are there any uk suppliers of these at reasonable cost or is it still the China route?
If China I will get motor only due to postage costs.

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
Waching this with interest, I looked for UK suppliers of Q128 or similar and sent a couple of emails enquiring but I couldn't find anyone. Let us know if you find anyone in the UK, and prices please ;)

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Woosh sell/sold kits with the small AKM 85. I think that same motor came with some Swytch kits too, but I've never seen A Q128/AKM128 sold in UK.

Neil5403

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2017
Staffs, England ST15
Woosh sell/sold kits with the small AKM 85. I think that same motor came with some Swytch kits too, but I've never seen A Q128/AKM128 sold in UK.
Thanks. I don’t want the small one as I’m not a small chap so need the bigger 128 version.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
All hubs are China /Far East manufactured any UK sellers will be in the main on Ebay or maybe the other well known market place. UK sourced items may well be 2x the price of an imported one as a sole buyer.

• Agree
Reactions: wheeliepete

Neil5403

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2017
Staffs, England ST15
BMSBATTERY show £66 postage for a Q128C motor!
Shows £34 until you log in so presumably it picks up the uk address?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
What are Topbikekit charges ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As nearly all electrical parts are made in China we have little choice but to pay the costs, since brexit costs overall may have risen. In the end there is little choice pay up or go without.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
From China you may not get any hub for less then £150 - £200, factoring whether you get caught for any duty or not is a lottery.

Neil5403

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2017
Staffs, England ST15
From China you may not get any hub for less then £150 - £200, factoring whether you get caught for any duty or not is a lottery.
Yes unfortunately I think that is the case.
I’ll just order it from TBK.
Is the battery situation better when trying to source from UK?
Looking for minimum spec of my current battery that is 48v 14.5A Samsung cells.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Batteries with decent cells are at a premium, world shortage due to demand. A UK warehouse supplier I use can't get branded cells for love nor money except the deal they have with a Taiwanese company Molicel.

Eclipse bikes or ebikebatteries for quality batteries though price won't be cheap like some ebay offerings.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes unfortunately I think that is the case.
I’ll just order it from TBK.
Is the battery situation better when trying to source from UK?
Looking for minimum spec of my current battery that is 48v 14.5A Samsung cells.
Your main spec to look at is the battery continuous current discharge before thinking about capacity, though most very good ones will or should be 20/25a capable.