Quality inverter

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I need another one.

My speaker is only 150W. It probably has peak power but not much. When looking at power drawing, it's mostly around 30-50W continuous. So really not popping that much power.

I need something else. Would this work AND be reliable?

It's not pure sine wave but maybe it doesn't need for speakers?
It certainly has a chance to work better!
But its not the speakers that you need to worry about, its the electronics that drive the speakers that may have a hum at the frequency of the "not sine wave" mains you produce!
Usually, if you put an Oscilloscope on the output, its more of a square wave.
A square wave consists of a fundamental sine wave (of the same frequency as the square wave) and odd harmonics of the fundamental. The amplitude of the harmonics is equal to 1/N where N is the harmonic (1, 3, 5, 7…).
Cheaper electronics are used to make a square wave simulation of a sine wave. The speaker amp really needs to have a transformer power input, which will tend to round off the corners of the square wave, thereby reducing "noise".
How much power is needed to drive the electronics is greater than the power needed to drive the speakers. Speakers, especially good ones, need a lot of power to make noises. VERY inefficient! This "lost" power is generally lost as heat!
Modified  Sine wave.jpg
Here you can see the difference between a modified sine wave (the sort of output many inverters make in RED, and a true sine wave in BLUE.
A 1:1 isolation transformer on the inverter output will also help to reduce noise and to shape the sine wave better....
If you have any further questions, please just ask.
Andy

Reactions: cwah
D

Deleted member 25121

Anything you could recommend?
As I said, I've no experience with your application and can't recommend any inverters for it.

Sorry. There are probably other forums out there that could help, maybe ones covering PA and audio equipment. This forum covers ebikes.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hello

I bought a little while ago an inverter for my 60v battery:

But after few hours of used it failed and just show the fault light.

Anyone has idea where I can buy a reliable inverter for a 60V battery? Power of 300W is enough. It just has to be reliable.

Thank you
All amps work at DC, so what might be a better method of working, is not to go via a mains inverter, with all its inherent problems of noise, size and weight, but to take the 60 Volts DC from the battery, (via a fuse) and convert it to the DC voltages that your amplifier actually needs....efficiency will be far, far higher!
But you will need a DIY person to identify the voltage/voltages required by the amp, and to find suitable circuits to convert 60 volts down to just what the amp requires....Technically seen, relatively easy to do!
There may even be room in the amp, to allow for an extra small PCB to be added, and a changeover switch to allow the amp to be run either from the mains, or the extra PCB with battery power.
regards
Andy

• Agree
Reactions: danielrlee

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
All amps work at DC, so what might be a better method of working, is not to go via a mains inverter, with all its inherent problems of noise, size and weight, but to take the 60 Volts DC from the battery, (via a fuse) and convert it to the DC voltages that your amplifier actually needs....efficiency will be far, far higher!
But you will need a DIY person to identify the voltage/voltages required by the amp, and to find suitable circuits to convert 60 volts down to just what the amp requires....Technically seen, relatively easy to do!
There may even be room in the amp, to allow for an extra small PCB to be added, and a changeover switch to allow the amp to be run either from the mains, or the extra PCB with battery power.
regards
Andy
Hello,

Thanks for this. It's also to be used to power light and other things.

So really ideally I'd just get an inverter or a similar set up that are ready made.

Do you know any that would fit? Otherwise I'd just use the previous setup mentioned as step down to 12v then use a pure sine wave inverter at 300W

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hello,

Thanks for this. It's also to be used to power light and other things.

So really ideally I'd just get an inverter or a similar set up that are ready made.

Do you know any that would fit? Otherwise I'd just use the previous setup mentioned as step down to 12v then use a pure sine wave inverter at 300W
Putting an inverter in between drops the efficiency dramatically, and you have blown one up already, but your choice in whatever you do!
Depending upon how much light you need, you can string say 5 x 12 volt bulbs of the same wattage in series. Or they could even be camping Fluorescent light units in series, again 5!
Probably, finding 2 x 24 volt units for trucks, would work fine as they accept a wider range of input voltages.
I found this on ebay, also maybe a possibility:-
Or these:-
There are many possibilities really....
Andy

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
get a bigger speaker ;)