Query re insuring ebike on home insurance

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
I have just phoned my home insurance company to see if they could insure my ebike. They asked me what the top speed was so I said 15.5 mph, and that that was the normal and legal requirement of all ebikes.

I was told that they only insure electric bikes up to a maximum of 8 mph! This was news to me, especially as I had had no issues with insuring the same bike previously.

Rather confused by this.

Advice anyone? Cheers.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Sounds like they are confusing your pedelec with a Class 3 powered wheelchair / mobility scooter - try speaking to someone else a tad higher up in your insurance company.

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
Confirmed with my insurance company that they DO NOT insure electric bikes. Strange as they did some years ago???

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
l last year I used Legal & General, this year Admiral home insurance, both happy to insure electric bike against theft.
Trevor, that's really useful to know. Does your insurer cover your bike(s) for theft away from the home or just from your home?

Also, did you have to add them as "specified items" (i.e. give a detailed description of them at quotation stage)?

Thanks

Gavin

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
Just noticed how old this thread is.....
I have the bike insured under pedal cycles "electric Bike" - covered away from home -Yes.
Also needs to be in a locked building with no public access OR locked to an immovable object using a Sold Secure Gold rated bicycle or motorbike lock when left outside.

I think the additional premium was around £10 pa, when I played around with the initial quotes.

Reactions: Gavin

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
Thanks for coming back Trevor and for the useful info.

I'll be getting in touch with Direct Line (my insurer)....

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
Did you start using another Insurance? I'm wondering if you found the solution.
I went for Eversure at £52. Cheapest I could find and just a basic policy i.e. really just for theft. I live in York - a so called "cycling city" which does have a fair few bike thefts. Perhaps cheaper elsewhere? House insurers were hopeless, they don't seem to know how to deal with ebikes.

Frnkldws

Just Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Hey, John F. This is a kind of difficult situation. If they don't insure electric bikes, you should find another insurance company that does. When I was trying to get home insurance, I was searching on Google and I couldn't find anything suitable for a long time. If you still want to get new home insurance, I can recommend the site of Money Expert. This site is very helpful because it shows you the information about a lot of insurance companies according to your location and property as well. Some of them might insure your e-bike for sure.