Question about Bosch Nyon

Nextlife1

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 2, 2017
San Francisco, CA
New here and new to electric bikes. I live just outside San Francisco and am planning to purchase a Haibike with Bosch Performance mid-drive next month. Despite mixed reviews online here and elsewhere I am considering upgrading the Intuvia to the Nyon, based primarily on my desire to have more information/customization of individual screens (I am aware that it is technically not available in she U.S.). I do have a couple of very specific questions which I cannot answer after reading the owners manual twice. I am hoping some folks here can answer these.

1) I know one can create custom screens for the "Ride"and "Fitness" screens. My question is whether one can specifically combine the two types of parameters on the same screen? Specifically, I am interested in a screen that has mostly Ride parameters but has a field for heart rate (from my chest strap monitor). Is it possible to do that? Just can't tell from the guide as it does not give a full description of the possibilities.

2) Can the current power input (by the rider not the motor) be displayed as a number as opposed to only the graph shown in the Nyon marketing videos? And can that also be incorporated into any of the custom screens?

3) Is there any other unit out there that the Intuvia could be upgraded to which would offer these options yet still control the motor assist levels? I am aware of the COBI but folks seem to be having even more problems with it than the Nyon. Anything else to consider?

Thank you very much in advance!

Nextlife1
nextlife1@yahoo.com

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
less is more nyon is nothing but hassle locked down and very expensive if you fall off.

Nextlife1

Jan 2, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Thanks for the quick reply. I have seen the Purion but was hoping for something that would allow more fields per screen so I don't have to switch screens while riding. I use Wahoo RFLKT on my regular road and mountain bikes but it obviously couldn't control the motor assist and couldn't read the power numbers. Thus my query about the Nyon. But I certainly understand your comments.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the problem with nyon is the software and the updates from Bosch as 9 times out of ten they fix 1 thing and screw up 10 more if you can even get it connected via wifi to install the updates that is or you brick it then back to the dealer to reset it.

support from bosch is basically non existent for it as well bar the updates you get from the portal but most just get rid off it even on the German site as its to big and expensive and a smart phone will do a better job and cost lot less.

if you gave me one for free id throw it in the bin ;)
http://www.pedelecforum.de/forum/index.php?threads/nyon-aktuell-update-august-2016.42933/page-14

Last edited:

Nextlife1

Jan 2, 2017
San Francisco, CA
I have read a lot of those experiences, so it is probably foolish to think my experience would be different. Though I have seen the occasional poster here and elsewhere who seem happy/satisfied.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
some are happy with it most are not as a phone can do better sat nav ect than nyon ever will.

also it is now an upgrade option on near all new bikes and given they brought out the new purion display cant see them lasting much longer b4 bosch drop them as most do not want it given the size and cost of it.

id wait and see if cobi can sort out there problems with what they have as Bosch them self cant get the software right for nyon and make it work for everyone.

Nextlife1

Jan 2, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Still interested I guess in answers to my original questions. Most people seem to be having the most trouble with maps and navigation. I am most interested in customization of power and other fitness indicators.

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
Custom screen is good i use it all the time if i am not using the navigation side of things then i do use custom riding screen to maintain a good RPM
Custom Riding screen .jpg

This is the main setting that i use you can change it from 1 main or 6 and a big screen or 12 like i have

List of all the information can be displayed on custom riding screens
Distance Covered
Distance Total
Distance total
Cadence current
Cadence Average
Eshift current gear
Speed
Drive Time
Clock "Current Time"
Consumption "Current"
Assistance Level
Slope
Altitude current
Power Current
Calories Burned
Heart rate Current
Torque Current
Training Effect

Some are very useful to me and some of them are a complete of waste of time
i have never messed with heart rate but i believe that you can connect it to the Nyon Display and it can read it from the screen i think you have to
have a compatible one i believe it can work with it

For the Nyon to work properly you need to make a e-bike connect account and connect your phone to it

The biggest selling point for the Nyon for me was the custom riding settings to change your motor around to make it easier for you or harder for me the maps have helped out awful lot to help me find places and not have depend on a phone and it battery makes life a lot more easier

just be careful if you do go head with it when updating the software on the Nyon sometimes it can be a pain because it can mess the software around and not work properly a couple of times in the past i have had to send it back to be reformatted and put right make sure you ask your dealer are buying it off that the updates are safe and working well before you update a 2 minute conversation on the phone can stop the messing around for you

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
Great--thanks!
I'm just curious on what type of riding you are going to be doing because if
you are going to use the nyon just for heart rate and custom screen riding
screen i will be truthful with you are laying out a lot of money out for not much return.

For example, the maps are great for commuters like me because you can see on screen where you are going with no problems just follow the route and you will get their with no problems.

The maps side of things won't pick up little trailers at all if you are that type of rider it will only pick up zip code to zip code and sometimes in the past
i have had it where it cannot work it out at all and you have to go massive route around to get where you are getting too

if i was a mountain biker i would just user a intuvia display that would be fine if you never use a map and always know where you are going with
no problems at all and it would save your wallet too and cost you a quarter of the price then what you would be paying for then nyon

The only part of the Nyon i don't bother using at all really is the fitness side of things at all everything else i use.

i just think you might be spending a lot of money on the nyon and not getting the full use out of the display

Nextlife1

Jan 2, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Thanks again. I am a complete road rider only--haven't been on my mountain bike in 3 years. I would plan on using the navigation functions to explore new routes in surrounding counties--there are world class road routes all around me and I only do a limited number routinely now (I am retired so I have time to explore every day). I certainly understand the expense and as long as the unit works for me (given the problems many have had) it would be worth it. But I mentioned the fitness because it is surprising to me that displays with multiple fitness parameters are not the norm. The Bosch unit measures the rider's power input as part of the system, so it should be easy to display. To get my regular road bike to display power would require specialized cranks at over USD 1000. I guess there is just not much demand among electric bike riders otherwise I would expect more aftermarket (e.g., Garmin) solutions.

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
Thanks again. I am a complete road rider only--haven't been on my mountain bike in 3 years. I would plan on using the navigation functions to explore new routes in surrounding counties--there are world class road routes all around me and I only do a limited number routinely now (I am retired so I have time to explore every day). I certainly understand the expense and as long as the unit works for me (given the problems many have had) it would be worth it. But I mentioned the fitness because it is surprising to me that displays with multiple fitness parameters are not the norm. The Bosch unit measures the rider's power input as part of the system, so it should be easy to display. To get my regular road bike to display power would require specialized cranks at over USD 1000. I guess there is just not much demand among electric bike riders otherwise I would expect more aftermarket (e.g., Garmin) solutions.
i would plan all your routes on Ebikeconnect on zip to zip then just switch your nyon and then it would connect and your routes would be their just load up the route that you have saved it as and pretty much away to go and you can ride.

if you do have a iPhone or android handset you can create routes on their and Bluetooth them a across but you would need a least a 3g signal 4g signal or wifi to do this i think it just easier to do from a web browser at home because you can never know what the connection is going to be like when you are around places

just bearing in mind you need to sign in to your e-bike connect account from time to time because if it does come where you don't use it at all then the account will shut down and you would have to create another account get it working again

There is a lot of information on the web browser version and it very handy to have a look through it tell your everything you need to know about how many miles you have done how much you effort you have been putting into it and how much the motor has been doing too which is good to know