Question about torque arms installation

jacks3

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 24, 2020
Hi, I bought and installed two torque arms for my front hub motor. I just wanted to make sure that I have them properly installed and in the right direction since in some of the videos I watched they were installed in the opposite direction. Also, after I install the torque arm on the disc brake side, there is not enough space left to fully screw on the nut and it's sticking out 1-2mm, is that a problem?

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The problem is that the arm is being pushed up the fork and the jubilee clip is only holding it against the fork, so it can slide up, You can't do much on the right hand side, but the one on the left should be fixed to the disc mount if you can.

More important, you've installed the motor upside down. The cable should go downwards if you don't want to fill up the motor with water - obviously no problem if you don't get it wet.

Reactions: jacks3

jacks3

Jun 24, 2020
Cheers, I'll flip the motor, I've been avoiding riding in the rain thus far. I'll leave the arm on the left-hand side like that, but I don't see a way that the one on the right can be fixed to the disc mount. Would it be okay if I just leave them both like that? I guess I could also switch and install the motor on the rear wheel if this setup wouldn't be secure enough?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Cheers, I'll flip the motor, I've been avoiding riding in the rain thus far. I'll leave the arm on the left-hand side like that, but I don't see a way that the one on the right can be fixed to the disc mount. Would it be okay if I just leave them both like that? I guess I could also switch and install the motor on the rear wheel if this setup wouldn't be secure enough?
Show us a photo of the left side. How you have them is better than not having them.

jacks3

Jun 24, 2020
I think I got this one pretty secure, I installed the clip between the disc brake mount so it won't be sliding up the fork. You can also see that the axle nut is sticking out a bit on the photo, that wouldn't make it any less secure, right?

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You should be able to do it like this if you make a new tie-bar out of steel strip. you only have to drill two holes, or you can drill a new hole in the one you already have and grind off the end.

Reactions: jacks3