Quiet Fazua-based bikes

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
Fazua claim their system is quieter than their competitors (well, it is their publicity!).
I'm impressed that a manufacturer has bothered to address the issue of noise.
I'll leave you experts to work out who the competitors are, but most (all?) appear to be crank-based.

Summary: Quiet enough not to annoy, but loud enough to confirm it's working.
I'd say that's about right from my experience.

Extracts from the main video (switch subtitles on manually if your German is as weak as mine):

MTB noises compared (in sound chamber):

MTBs outside:

Road bikes outside:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
I agree hub motors are quiet too (ebikemotion is my experience) - possibly because they're a little further away, and behind the rider's ears compared to crank/mid-drive motors?

Another hub motor advantage. ;)

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Rear hub-motors always sound quieter because they're behind you, though with a sine wave controller, they are very quiet anyway.

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
Mahle motor on my Specialized is crank and so much quieter than any hub or other crank I have ridden.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Mahle motor on my Specialized is crank and so much quieter than any hub or other crank I have ridden.
I got lulled into a false sense of security. The very first e-bike I tried was a direct drive hub model. Its totally silent - doesn't even have the slightly whirring internal cogs of the geared hub versions.
At the time, I didn't realise that 99% of the other ebikes out there would make other people think there was an electric milk float coming up behind them :)

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I got lulled into a false sense of security. The very first e-bike I tried was a direct drive hub model. Its totally silent - doesn't even have the slightly whirring internal cogs of the geared hub versions.
At the time, I didn't realise that 99% of the other ebikes out there would make other people think there was an electric milk float coming up behind them :)
It's not the cogs that make the noise. It's electrical commutation. A noisy motor goes quiet when you use a sine wave controller.