R.i.p.

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
R.I.P. Richard Ballantine - his Bicycle Book was a 70's/80's icon (sorry about the heavily overused word, but it's right in this case) and encouraged many people to take up cycling, continue doing it, and not least, have some idea about how to fix their bikes.

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
RIP indeed. His book was useful in so many ways - statistical data on the likelihood of getting rained on when commuting, bicycle maintenance, and even how to kill a mad attacking dog! I think that part was removed from later editions!

Phil

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
Agree his books gave me a lot of enthusiasm, ideas and inspiration. I've got the one with the section on dealing with dog attacks, a good read

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
I first read his book oh.. probably 1985 and recall the dog advice - which I took to be tongue in cheek at the time - but some didn't find it so and created a bit of a fuss. Typical humourless dog owners.
Anyway, I found an old edition on ebay a few days ago and it's on its way here. I hope it's got the dog advice in it. ;)

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
'Ram a pump down its throat' is the paraphrased version, as I recall it. Maybe not so useful in these modern days of mini pumps :(

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
I first read his book oh.. probably 1985 and recall the dog advice - which I took to be tongue in cheek at the time - but some didn't find it so and created a bit of a fuss. Typical humourless dog owners.
Anyway, I found an old edition on ebay a few days ago and it's on its way here. I hope it's got the dog advice in it. ;)
I'm pleased to find it still had the dog advice as late as 1989.