R&M Supercharger...some questions!

Aerotec

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 7, 2020
Hello all,

New to this forum but a great bundle of advice here!

I am in the market for an eBike and sadly just missed out on Phils Cube. I popped to some bike shops yesterday and a local shop has an ex-demo R&M Supercharger for sale. He wants £3300 and it comes with one battery but I could buy a second battery at the same time to use the double battery bay.

The display shows it having done 558 miles but I am curious if that is logged within the motor or within the display? Would it be possible to fit a new Intuvia display and have the mileage counter reset ? It has the Deore XT chainset, Rohloff would be VERY nice but I would have to spend £6k+ for a new bike to get that. This also has the Gen 2 CX motor so has some motor drag but with the 2 batteries (and a Speedbox 2.0) this shouldn't be too big a concern.

It is a beast of a machine and beyond the budget I planned to spend but for the spec it would be a long term investment. Keen to know of anyone else has any feedback on this bike or anything else I should be checking before committing to buy?

Thanks, Richard

Reactions: ebiker99

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The mileage is recorded in the motor/controller.

If you fit a new Intuvia it will read the existing mileage on the bike.

What do you mean by a spare battery bay?

The twin battery system includes extra wiring in the loom and software which sips from each battery alternately.

If this bike is a genuine factory twin battery bike which is simply being sold with one battery, all should be well.

Although I would rather test the bike with two batteries in place before parting with any money.

• Agree
Reactions: Croxden

Aerotec

Feb 7, 2020
Thanks Rob, that's good to know.

Yes it is the twin battery model but the dealer only got it with one battery as that's all he needed for test rides. I will buy the second battery so both bays are kitted out. Though it's a rather nice space to keep a bottl eof whisky :)

The bike will get a full service and come with the full 2yr warranty from R&M and Bosch which is great.

Richard

D

Deleted member 25121

The second battery would take the price to around £4K, for 50% more you could get a Rohloff hub, a Gen3 motor, 2 new batteries and a brand new bike with better resale value.
Go on, you deserve it....

Aerotec

Feb 7, 2020
Argh don't...I've been looking at the Gen2! Never used Rohloff before. Youtube video of the electric shifting is nice! And low maintenance appeals. Any negatives to Rohloff? How easy is it to self service the oil change?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
it is the twin battery model but the dealer only got it with one battery as that's all he needed for test rides.
Perhaps it doesn't matter, but that seems odd to me.

There was no retail option of the second tray and wiring, but no battery.

Seems more likely the dealer flogged the second battery separately.

Argh don't...I've been looking at the Gen2! Never used Rohloff before. Youtube video of the electric shifting is nice! And low maintenance appeals. Any negatives to Rohloff? How easy is it to self service the oil change?
Changing the oil is fiddly but doable.

The twist shifter gear change on Rohloff is a bit clunky and needs a relatively firm hand.

Electric shifting would sort that.

There is a small amount of drag on the hub, not so important on an ebike, but the derailer version would be more free running.

On the plus side, the evenly spaced gears are a joy to use after Shimano hubs which all have uneven gaps.

Rohloff indexing is internal, which means it is always correct, unlike Shimano hubs which need occasional tinkering with cable tension.

The Rohloff is also famously robust and reliable.

D

Deleted member 25121

The Rohloff is fantastic, when you change gear with a button the motor automatically cuts out for a few 100ms while the gear change takes place, no more grinding of gears when you change down too late on a steep hill.

Plus you can change gear while the bike is stationary and also the Rohloff will automatically switch to a preselected gear after the bike has been stationary for a couple of seconds, for example when you're stopped at a junction.

It's easy to change the oil and the parts are readily available.

Thoroughly recommeded.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
The electric Rolhoff R&M Supercharger is excellent. Would definitely recommend. Ideally I would try one out and see what you think. The R&M rep has a demo fleet which shops can borrow so worth checking if your local shop can borrow one for you to try. Good luck!