Rack bag / Rutland cycling / HotUKDeals

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Nice one Raboa, Just ordered one as I need another. I use an (Evans) FWE one which is very good but at the price the Axiom is a very good deal. The really cheap ones available are pretty crap as they don't have any side support/stiffeners in them and lack in decent rack fastening. I like these for days out as they aren't very bulky but still enable me to carry extra battery capacity tools/spares, food & drink etc,etc without the need for a back pack which I hate wearing.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I'm still a bit new to using luggage on my bike, but as you say Nealh, so much better than a rucksack. Can you fit a bag like this on top of a set of throw over panniers, or is it a case of one or other. I can't see how you would secure it as the panniers cover the rack.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My FWE in one has two under slung Velcro straps for securing to a rack and 4 (one at each corner) for securing, another similar I have different brand only has four corner velcro's but holds firm.

Yes If needed you may be able sit on top of some throw over panniers, it will depend on the throw over material and width to whether enough rack is left to attach Velcro's around.
With the top bag and side panniers deployed you can get quite a bit of kit in them without the need for throw overs if out for a days riding but not good for heavier general shopping errands.

In my top bag with fold down side panniers I carry enough for day out and to get me out of trouble. Once unzipped and down the side bits do add a lot of capacity to the top bag.
Spare approx. 16ah 36 or 48v battery/ lion or lipo.
Camera/Phone/Lights/money.
About 1kg tools/ spare chain/brake pads/ 2 tubes/puncture kit/pump/CO2.
Food/drink/rag/bog roll/light windproof Shimano pac a mac.
I expect there are other items I have missed but generally they have proved very sturdy at the mo and and don't stick out as far as throw overs.

Last edited:
Reactions: wheeliepete

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Axiom exp15 looks like it has four corner Velcro's not sure if it has under slung fixing as well, the four corner ones are enough. As with all things Velcro best if secured in place and left in situ to retain the hook strength. My ones only have a string bag compartment at the rear unlike the one shown which actually has flap.
Side panniers when in use are approx. 11" x 9.5" x 1.6" but in my experience the sides can bulk out with items.

Last edited:

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Thanks for that Neal, it was just a thought for a bit more storage, but TBH, with panniers full of shopping , I don't think more weight on top is a great idea. Can you be done for being overweight on a pedelec? No, I take that back, some people I've seen are carrying far more than my puny 75 kg and a bit of shopping:D

Slartibartfast

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2019
How does it attach the rack? My rack has what looks like two cross bars, one at the front & one at the rear, with two holes in facing front to rear. The cross bar nearest the seat has a spring loaded release. No idea what fits it.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Most add on bike racks have a tubular frame work, the top is usually an outer tubular framework with a flat middle support base section. The bag has 4 full height Velcro's at each corner, Velcro unhooks and is fed through the gap between base section & outer tube framework then under tubed edge and pulled up and Velcro reattaches to it self on the bag.

Last edited:

Slartibartfast

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2019
Most add on bike racks have a tubular frame work, the top is usually an outer tubular framework with a flat middle support base section. The bag has 4 full height Velcro's at each corner, Velcro unhooks and is fed through the gap between base section & outer tube framework then under tubed edge and pulled up and Velcro reattaches to it self on the bag.
Aah, thank you. I would like to find one that attaches the rack I have using the correct fittings. I suspect it will cost fortunes though!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Ah well !!! I thought the Axiom offer was too good to be true. Rutland have just got back to me saying they are unable to supply due to popularity and can't source any more from the supplier , they have offered an alternative make (49.99) for the same price or a refund.
Repalcement is ETC brand but not many good pics of it on the web I can find barring a stock pic, have afew days to make up my mind.