Radio Mics For 4 Riders.

TonyT28

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 6, 2021
I usually go riding with 3 friends. Does anybody have and suggestions as to what would be the best radio mic system for 4 riders. We are all pensioners so the budget is pretty limited. TIA.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I usually go riding with 3 friends. Does anybody have and suggestions as to what would be the best radio mic system for 4 riders. We are all pensioners so the budget is pretty limited. TIA.
Some mobile phones can talk to other local mobile phones, without using the normal methods, just directly I have read, but how many, I haven't a clue.
Or all buy cheap digital WalkiTalkies, ones with a phone socket possibly.....
Look on this page for starters:-
regards
Andy

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Last edited:

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
I would not consider doing this because if you are going to stick ear buds in, then that would reduce your awareness of traffic sounds, which increases your vulnerability. Im a pensioner and I ride with a similar group. Those who like to constantly chat seem to me to be less aware of their situation than the silent riders.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I would not consider doing this because if you are going to stick ear buds in, then that would reduce your awareness of traffic sounds, which increases your vulnerability. Im a pensioner and I ride with a similar group. Those who like to constantly chat seem to me to be less aware of their situation than the silent riders.
If you connect your phones to powerbanks and mount them onto the handlebars with holders, you could use speakerphone throughout the ride, keeping chat to a minimum? Some holders have space available for slim power banks - I use one for navigation and can still hear traffic while hearing spoken directions, the power bank lasts for many hours. Alternatively pair bluetooth speakers with microphone function, some of them are quite small and can also mount onto the handlebars (or have clips/nylon loops). Whether Whatsapp works seamlessly with whatever bluetooth speakers you try, would have to be tested. Bluetooth can be a little hit and miss, less so with newer phones with more recent versions of bluetooth.

Last edited:

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
It's not a low cost option but the Sena R1 EVO Smart Helmets that my wife & I have are the best cycling accessories we have ever purchased. The intercom works beautifully even 100m apart & the clever noise-cancelling microphones ensure there is no wind noise. There is no need to push buttons or do anything other than just chat naturally at normal volume. The group intercom works with up to four headsets.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
the clever noise-cancelling microphones ensure there is no wind noise
Doesn't the noise cancellation also seriously limit your road awareness, or is it clever enough that traffic sounds come through?

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
Doesn't the noise cancellation also seriously limit your road awareness, or is it clever enough that traffic sounds come through?
There aren't headphones. There are speakers built into the helmets so there is no restriction on traffic sounds. It's the microphones that don't pick up wind noise. You really have to use them to appreciate how good they are.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I don't know about the product nigelbb has mentioned, but directions spoken by my phone (speakerphone) don't distract me - voice frequency range is quite different to that produced by vehicles, beyond the frequencies that small speakers produce. Vehicles rumble low mid to very low (plus higher), humans largely mid to high, humans through speakers high mid to high; quite distinct and easy to differentiate the two. It's also easy to distinguish music played through small speakers from traffic, if it's at low volume and played through small tinny speakers - makes miles fly by.

Last edited:

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
That is also very true for drivers of cars IMHO! But they have more protection.....
The proper answer to that problem is to say/shout "SHUT UP AND DRIVE!"
regards
Andy

DiggyGun

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2021
England
We use these walkie talkies complete with extension microphone / speaker

Retevis RB637 Wireless Bluetooth Walkie Talkie, Portable PMR446 Radio, Bluetooth Headphone, Wireless Copy, 2000mAh USB Rechargeable Long Distance Walky Talky for Hunting, Skiing(Black, 2Pcs)
by RetevisDirect
Learn more: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08R1CTQ5K/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_0BPYJB0TV7CRVS2Q6PGD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Retevis RS111 Walkie Talkies Speaker Microphone 2 Pin Compatible with eSynic UV-5R Baofeng UV-5R BF-888S BF-88E RT24 RT27 Two Way Radio (2 pcs)
by RetevisDirect
Learn more: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077JXQ3BS/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_0E2K7MNQ0NGH6RJPT64R?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It came with Bluetooth earpieces, but much easier to use the extension microphone / speaker.

523ADA63-C8CD-4962-81FC-A4FC657F8BFD.jpeg5A27677E-A762-4A30-AA3D-DBB5E292BD1A.jpeg

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
  • :D
Reactions: The Silverfox