Raleigh Array Kit - a Good Base for a Fast Tourer?

Hubby

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 24, 2020
Hi All,

Just after a bit of advice, i've recently taken a bit of a dive into the world of ebikes and am surprised by the sheer number of variables and the limited availability of information, given the potential usefulness and demand. So i'm hoping someone here may be kind enough to share their experience and wisdom with a novice who has rudimentary skills as a bike mechanic and minimal electronic knowledge (can strip and join wire, and have multimeter).

I've just got a setup removed from a pre-facelift Raleigh Array, it appears to be in pretty good order and comprises 700c front wheel with hub motor, pannier rack with battery (rack-mounted housing incorporates computer), charger, twist throttle, computer/dashboard thing and a damaged PAS sensor, which led to the kit being removed from the original bike (which is now being used as a standard push bike - and which i don't have access to).

I would like to pair it with a road bike with drop bars and now that i've got it i'm beginning to see the challenges involved! I've seen that i can buy a new sensor for £40-50, but i can't establish how it's mounted, i had thought it might sit beneath the cable guide on the underside of the bottom bracket, but this now looks quite impractical, so given that the basic drive assembly is fully functional i'm wondering whether there's a simple method of either using an alternative sensor, or putting a simple switch on so that i can apply power when needed, e.g. when hitting a hill. There is a throttle but seemingly this is set up in a way which limits it to short bursts and very low speeds - perhaps there's a workaround for that?

I'm after a bike that is fairly fast touring in nature, that has a decent range of gears which i could take on longer rides (i.e. a compact chainset), including tours, but that would also take the sting out of a thirty mile commute as i gradually rebuild fitness. This is why the idea of a modified road bike with pannier rack appeals, i've had a bit of a search here, but again the challenge is in finding the info specific to my needs and the bits i've just bought. Rather than having a huge battery i'd prefer the flexibility of running two batteries enabling charging at either end of the commute (or if i needed extra range chucking one in a bag as a spare).

The main reason i've approached as i have is that i don't have a big budget (otherwise i'd get a Ribble ebike) so given the above do you have any suggestions? Has my first move been a wrong one? :)

Thanks.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Hi and welcome.
Some pictures of the bike and the kit will be useful.

You say the pas sensor is damaged, in what way, give us a photo?

What makes you say the throttle is only set up for short bursts, this could be indicative of a previous duff battery?

AFAIK twist throttles won't fit drops, you should be able to get a thumb throttle but show pictures of controller and wiring.
There should be some brake levers with cutout switches in them, however they will be for straight bars not drops. You may be able to use a hidden wire brake switch (HWBS) from Yosepower. One on the rear should suffice.

As for battery, I would get the biggest you can afford. Front motor and rack battery gives quite good weight distribution. ( Don't worry about overall weight - you've got a motor.) Assuming commute is 15 miles each way I would go for a 14Ah (assuming 36v system) or bigger battery. This should allow the whole journey on one charge without digging too deeply into the charge cycle. One big battery will be cheaper than two small ones.

It will be a good idea to consider upgrading the brakes to accomodate extra weight and speed. If discs are not an option then a Magura HS11 on the front works well.

Hubby

Jun 24, 2020
Hi thanks for the reply.
I'm looking to marry the kit to a steel framed road bike with rack mounts, though as it currently has carbon forks i'm looking at replacement steel forks.
The old PAS sensor must've been bumped as it has been worn by the chainring and at some point pulled off (all four wires sheared), so i'm not convinced by the design as originally intended let alone fudged to fit a mod. (The Raleigh Array has a single chainring whereas i'm looking to marry it to a compact chainset for a better range of gearing).

The thing about the throttle is in the technical manual, it's up to 3km/h to assist startup, my idea of modding it is definitely a bit crap and probably not something i'll pursue (i've seen a slightly clumsy, but effective, mod to enable computers and lights to be up front where bar space wouldn't allow which is to mount a bracket which can support a tube above and between the drops) i was just dreaming ideas and thought that this might be a workaround, but in the cold light of day i know it'd be crap. Another idea was to mount on the bar end and tape around the cable, but that's not too good either.
Perhaps just binning that throttle would be best, just using and on off switch and pedal assist. I can generally roll along faster than 25km/h unassisted, so i'd just want a little help on the hills to save my legs, whilst keeping overall weight down to avoid penalties elsewhere.

I quite like the idea of modifying an existing bike, especially with a front hub as with a few minutes fettling the pannier rack can come off and the fork and wheel can be removed and replaced, which whilst a bit of a faff, does give some flexibility and saves space.

I'm looking to keep the build cost down - so don't want to replace battery but would be interested to know if a second battery can be piggy-backed on without becoming too involved and without being a permanent fixture, alternatively i'd still have the option to buy a second battery and put it in a bag.

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Four wires means it's a torque sensor, you will find it hard to get a replacement though could try a Raleigh dealer.
Might be the Suntour e-motion system as used by Halfrauds Carrera bikes.

Last edited:

Hubby

Jun 24, 2020
Four wires means it's a torque sensor, you will find it hard to get a replacement though could try a Raleigh dealer.
Might be the Suntour e-motion system as used by Halfrauds Carrera bikes.
Thanks for the reply, i've found the sensor available for sale, i'm just not sure how i'd be able to transfer it across both in terms of securely mounting it and in setting it up on a compact chainset rather than single chainring.
I'm interested by the four wires = torque sensor comment, all i have established so far is this setup detail, but i'm not convinced that the single bolt which attached the cable guide to the BB will hold it without movement, the setup issue just added a bit more doubt.

Maybe time to call in at Halfords for a poke about?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One pair of wires is for Gnd & 5v, the other two are the sensing wires one for each pedal/crank arm.

Reactions: Hubby

Hubby

Jun 24, 2020
One pair of wires is for Gnd & 5v, the other two are the sensing wires one for each pedal/crank arm.
I must've been a bit dozy before as forgot to paste this link to the setup detail;

I had a look at Halfords but mostly mid-drive bikes, a couple of rear hubs but sensors appeared to be placed on chainguard.