Raleigh eBike Test Day, 21st April

Lloyd

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2010
According to google maps, about 2-3 miles. You probably want to take the bike out for a good 20-30mins.

As for colour, it is a metallic champagne, definately not yellow. Looks even nicer in the flesh than on a screen. The Trail is a pearlescent white too, which looks rather spiffing up close in the sun!

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Quite the reverse. The Panasonic system will provide more assistance on the steepest sections of the hill. It will cope with just about anything.
But will it? Unless I misunderstand, the assistance is limited to twice the rider's input. So if, you have a 250 watt motor and can only pedal 100 watts, then you only get 200 watts electrical assistance, not the full 250 of which the motor is capable. Fro what I gather from other posts, the Panasonic Company did not set out to make a world beater system, just one that copes with odd Japanese laws. Because it works very well and is reliable, it sells in Europe.

Oiseaux

Pedelecer
Jan 19, 2011
La roche Posay, Vienne, France
Lloyd, The Velo Cite looks good but is that a hub motor I see and not a Panasonic crank drive as per the Dover. If so, what make is the hub motor and how does it compare to others re drag and noise. I have only tried the Bafang (fun 3 ?) noisy, lot of drag with motor turned off, and the Sanyo, virtually no drag or noise.

Oiseaux

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
But will it? Unless I misunderstand, the assistance is limited to twice the rider's input. So if, you have a 250 watt motor and can only pedal 100 watts, then you only get 200 watts electrical assistance, not the full 250 of which the motor is capable. Fro what I gather from other posts, the Panasonic Company did not set out to make a world beater system, just one that copes with odd Japanese laws. Because it works very well and is reliable, it sells in Europe.
It's quite true that the more capable riders can extract the most power from the system for the reasons you give in your example.

Sticking with your example, say a rider can only provide a maximum 100 Watt pedal effort for a short continuous period, say when climbing a hill. They are therefore likely to be outputting about 70 Watts for a sustained period on the flat or gently undulating terrain. If the Panasonic system is set to 1:1 assist, then the 70 Watt continuous rider effort will be 140 Watts at the rear wheel ( neglecting efficiency losses). When the same rider comes to a hill, the pressure on the pedals starts to increase, so his power output will do the same rising to his maximum 100 Watts. The Panasonic system will sense this extra rider effort through the torque sensor on the pedal shaft and raise it's power output to match. The power at the back wheel will now increase to 200 Watts.

This is quite a simplistic example. The power delivery from the Panasonic unit varies continuously depending on the angular position of the pedal crank. It can peak for short intervals at several hundred Watts, but the above is roughly how it works.

The important thing is, how it feels to ride. What the user experience is like. To me, the Panasonic system fools me into thinking that I am a superhuman cyclist. It is that subtle and unobtrusive. When I get to a hill and my pace starts to fall back, it feels like I am falling back into a helping hand that collects me up and pushes me along. Again cleverly kidding me into thinking that I have found some sort of second wind.

The Panasonic unit isn't a quirky Japanese system that has been crowbarred into a European bike. It has it's origins in Japanese law, but it works very very well on our bikes. It may not suit everyone because it tends to reward low cadence and higher pedal pressures and this may be at odds with seasoned cyclists.

Sticking with legal motors, you will be off and walking up a hill with any legal hub motored bike long before you are with a Panasonic powered machine.

Last edited:

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
It's quite true that the more capable riders can extract the most power from the system for the reasons you give in your example.

Sticking with legal motors, you will be off and walking up a hill with any legal hub motored bike long before you are with a Panasonic powered machine.
Thanks, that is all I really wanted to know.

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
According to google maps, about 2-3 miles. You probably want to take the bike out for a good 20-30mins.

As for colour, it is a metallic champagne, definately not yellow. Looks even nicer in the flesh than on a screen. The Trail is a pearlescent white too, which looks rather spiffing up close in the sun!
Great that it can be tested for 20-30 mins with a hill!! Fantastic.

I really think pale yellow is the way to go.... ;) :D

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
Lloyd - do any of the step over's have throttle on them?

Penny Wobbly Farthing.

Lloyd

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2010
The Velo models do feature hub motors, and the Motor in Question is the LBH brushless, sensored. The motor is very quiet during operation, and offers low drag resistance.

None of our bikes feature throttles. We use a TMM4 torque sensor, with 3 modes of assistance and an LCD display. We have also integrated a smart BMS system which allows constant accurate battery readouts. Here are some closeups of some of the best bits :D

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
These new Raleigh bikes look very good. Especially the use of the LBH motor, it got a good write up in AtoB magazine, quite, powerfull and very free running, I think you'll do well with these Lloyd

Lloyd

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2010
Thankyou NRG. We have certainly worked very hard on these bikes for the past year!

The feedback from all who have ridden it has been very positive so far, which is why I am personally so excited about our demo days that are coming up this year!

Now all we need is for this wonderful weather to continue.......

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
I hope you are having a good day, despite me being unable to make contact with you the last couple of days via your email and your mobile. ;)

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Test Day

Hello 'Penny Farthing'

We are sad to see that you missed our eBike test day, however it was so successful we are doing it again on 14th May at a new location not too far from the previous one.

Please visit the link below for more details :)

Show Report

It will be taking place on Saturday 14th May, 11am - 1pm in the Doctors Surgery Car Park, Lymington Bottom Road, Medstead GU34 5EW

Many Thanks

fatts

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2009
west wales
Also Pennyfarthing, I have checked with Martin from our Petersfield dealer, and he says that the town square immediate area is quite flat I'm afraid. There are some good test hills within a short ride from the site though, we can point you in the right direction on the day, and I have no problem with you taking a bike out for a longer ride to really test the hill climbing abilities!
I think Butsers hill close by would be good or the hill going to Steep. I use to use them as a kid! Now I use the mountain roads in wales where I live

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
We will be hosting a number of future test days, for any one who missed our last test day.
We have also introduced a brand new website devoted to eBikes, the link as follows..
Home - Your Electric Bike Shop in Hampshire

From here you can view our events page for upcoming demo days, alternatively visit us in the shop where we always have a number of electric bikes for test..

Thank You