Raleigh Motus crossbar derailier gears rattling in low gears

Grandad50

Pedelecer
May 23, 2018
Cumberland
Hi all,

Ive had a Raleigh Motus crossbar derailier which has a Bosch mid drive since March, through cycle to work scheme and its a good bike.

it has just developed a rattle when in low gears 2 - 3. anything above that its fine.

anyone else had that issue?

I havent had a mid drive before could it just be an adjustment issue ive done about 600 miles on it since new.

thanks in advance.

Stanebike

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2020
I have a Raleigh Motus and have had rattles in some gears as well, usually in high gears in my case. The bracket holding the chain guard could of been made of ‘butter’ apparently by the ease of which the guard can be nocked out of place and rub the cain. Try pulling the guard away from the chain. Also if the indexing of the gears needs adjusting that can also make a rattling noise in some gears. If you’re not familiar with adjusting the gears there are lots of YouTube videos of how to do it. I hadn’t got a clue how to adjust them before looking at a couple of videos.

Reactions: Grandad50

Grandad50

Pedelecer
May 23, 2018
Cumberland
If you have only had the bike since March it must still be under warranty. Take it back to where you bought it & get them to fix it.
Came from a supplier in Wales through work cycle to work scheme.

I wondered is anyone else's had had similar experience.
Thanks for the reply

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Came from a supplier in Wales through work cycle to work scheme.

I wondered is anyone else's had had similar experience.
Thanks for the reply
I have had a Motus Unisex.. The only problem I had which was serious was the carrier loosened and jerked back, breaking the leads to the battery pack . It meant a very slow 5 mile cycle without power. Rewiring it was an absolute mare... The amount of spare space and cable was crucifying. Eventually the best I could do was to sacrifice the on board charging option and prioritise the off bike charging connection. Another point to watch is some muppet loosening the quick release front wheel ..it plays havoc with the dynamo and losing the front wheel would be unpleasant..
But No problems with the gears as of yet ..and I have had this bike from about 2017, still on the first battery.

Reactions: Grandad50

Grandad50

Pedelecer
May 23, 2018
Cumberland
I have had a Motus Unisex.. The only problem I had which was serious was the carrier loosened and jerked back, breaking the leads to the battery pack . It meant a very slow 5 mile cycle without power. Rewiring it was an absolute mare... The amount of spare space and cable was crucifying. Eventually the best I could do was to sacrifice the on board charging option and prioritise the off bike charging connection. Another point to watch is some muppet loosening the quick release front wheel ..it plays havoc with the dynamo and losing the front wheel would be unpleasant..
But No problems with the gears as of yet ..and I have had this bike from about 2017, still on the first battery.
Thanks good things to look for I'm going to try some new lube and see if that helps any before going to main dealer whom I didn't get the bike from

Grandad50

Pedelecer
May 23, 2018
Cumberland
I have a Raleigh Motus and have had rattles in some gears as well, usually in high gears in my case. The bracket holding the chain guard could of been made of ‘butter’ apparently by the ease of which the guard can be nocked out of place and rub the cain. Try pulling the guard away from the chain. Also if the indexing of the gears needs adjusting that can also make a rattling noise in some gears. If you’re not familiar with adjusting the gears there are lots of YouTube videos of how to do it. I hadn’t got a clue how to adjust them before looking at a couple of videos.
Excellent advice I will definitely check those areas as the rattle is around the front area of bike

Grandad50

Pedelecer
May 23, 2018
Cumberland
You were right it was the chain guard paper thin plastic.

Used to ebike chain lube too, the combination of the 2 factors seems to have sorted it out