Raleigh Motus vs Oxygen S-Cross MTB - which is the best?

londonbrl

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 11, 2019
Raleigh Motus vs Oxygen S-Cross MTB -

Both pretty much the same price
Both with Hydraulic brakes
Raleigh - has bosch motor / Oxygen - Bafang
Raleigh has centre cranckset / Oxygen: rear cranckset

All in all Raleigh looks like a great bike in paper, but oxygen feels better to ride...any thoughts?

DBye

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2016
I think you've answered your own question -the S-Cross as it feels better to ride! Are the battery capacities equivalent? I want to say that the S-Cross has a larger capacity battery!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
which one is lighter?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
We've got an (older) Motus and it really suits us for fairly sedate riding with some off-road paths. However, I doubt it would class in any way as an MTB. Ours is step-through and hub, both of which probably make it even less MTB-like than newer cross-bar ones.

londonbrl

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 11, 2019
We've got an (older) Motus and it really suits us for fairly sedate riding with some off-road paths. However, I doubt it would class in any way as an MTB. Ours is step-through and hub, both of which probably make it even less MTB-like than newer cross-bar ones.
I used the MTB version of the Oxygen as is the best of the 3 available models in my opinion, but essentially I will use in the city as would the Motus Tour. The point is that on paper the Motus does look better and wanted a honest opinion before deciding going for the oxygen one.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The Raleigh is pretty heavy (24.5kg), but it seems the Oxygen is a kg or so heavier still (26.4).

The Motus has a torque sensor; a little more natural but it does mean you always have to put in some effort. I don't know, but the rear drive Oxygen probably doesn't (most rear hub drive don't) in which case you can phantom pedal with no effort to keep it moving if you are feeling lazy.

Any repairs or new batteries to the Bosch system are likely to be more expensive.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The Raleigh is pretty heavy (24.5kg), but it seems the Oxygen is a kg or so heavier still (26.4).
The Rio MTB is lighter, it weighs 22kgs.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Oxygen if you want to fix it yourself. Raleigh if you want only dealer service of electrical stuff.

The listing of 26kg is wrong. There's no way that it's that heavy. That must be the weight including the box and charger.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The listing of 26kg is wrong. There's no way that it's that heavy
you can go over to Oxygen and weigh the bike yourself.
When I specced up the Rio MTB, I had the same problem with weight. I had to throw out the cheaper Suntour fork, the square taper bottom bracket, the rack, the full size mudguards and chainguard. the full size pedals and even the lights. I even reduced the frame size, the original frame was for 27.5" wheels. The Rio frame weighs less than 2kgs.
I replaced the aluminium lowers with magnesium to save 1kg, I put in the GXP crankset to save 300g, etc. The average Chinese MTB weighs about 23kgs before you add mudguards, racks and lights.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The full RIO certainly looks good value; and should be fairly easy/cheap for maintenance.
maintenance? you only have to keep the chain clean and the tyres well inflated.
The brake pads last about 3,000 miles and auto adjust. The chain is hardly used because the SWX02 motor makes you lazy, the GXP bottom bracket never needs grease.
I sell a few to deliveroos, they usually clock up 2000-3000 miles before bringing their bikes in for servicing.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I have the Motus, and it is an excellent bike . Capable of mild off road .. say gravel paths, clay paths grass ,but not MTB territory. .
The only maintenance needed has been a decision to replace a tyre with a marathon. , Minor rotation of hydraulic brake adjustment, abd a little bit of chain greasing.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The 26.4kg comes from http://www.oxygenbicycles.com/e-bikes/s-cross-mtb, under Performance, repeated in the specs http://www.oxygenbicycles.com/admin/resources/bike-downloads/s-cross-mtb-spec-new.pdf

We were tempted by a RIO-LS (now sold out?) when we got the Raleigh, but after trying similar shape bike found it not low enough step. Probably not an issue for the original poster? The full RIO certainly looks good value; and should be fairly easy/cheap for maintenance.
It's wrong.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
If you test road them both and preferred the Oxygen then why would you buy the other one.

I bought a 2011 Oxygen Emate and test road it against Panasonic crank drive Kalkhoff's but preferred the feel of the Oxygen and am still happy with it and still riding it.

Cadence rear hub drive bikes are very relaxing to ride and wear their transmissions much much less than a crank drive system.

Crank drive bikes with torque sensors are very good off road and climbing steep hills. They also require more input from the rider.

I now have both and really enjoy using my crank drive hard tail mountain bike off road and the Oxygen for shopping trips and on road commuting as well as leisurely rides along the river bank route to a nearby larger town.

If by preferring the Oxygen you are really preferring the cadence rear hub drive system then you might well consider trying other bikes that use the same system like the ones sold by Woosh and indeed other good makes.