Help! Raleigh Strada TSE controller

shaunuk88

Just Joined
Mar 27, 2024
Hi all I've been looking into trying to fit a throttle to my ebike which is the Raleigh Strada TSE I can't seem to find the controller ( or if it even has one). Has anyone has any interactions with this bike cheers

Electrical
Motor: New TranzX M16 36v 250w centre mount motor
Battery: TranzX 400wh 36V 11Ah BL 19 Battery
Display: TranzX DP16 PST LCD Display, 5 assist levels with Walk Function
Sensor: TranzX Wheel Sensor
Wiring loom: Battery Cable
Range: Eco 125Km 85Km in normal use

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Mid drive motors can contain the controller pcb internally. Any mention of throttle settings in the display/controller manual? or perhaps any unused 3wire sockets wired to your motor?
Google led me to a site which was sparse on useful details and left me thinking joe public isn't expected or encouraged to diy maintain or fix these..

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
OEM mid motors very rarely have a throttle option (Wisper I think is one that does ?) , only kit mid motors usually give this option.

Mid drive motors have an integrated controller and is part of the main motor assembly it self, in your model not too disimilar in design to a BBS01 the controller is located in the bulbous front section. If it had a throttle connection most likely there would be an external spare connectionso if there isn't one , then the answer is simply no to a throttle.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Hi all I've been looking into trying to fit a throttle to my ebike which is the Raleigh Strada TSE I can't seem to find the controller ( or if it even has one). Has anyone has any interactions with this bike cheers

Electrical
Motor: New TranzX M16 36v 250w centre mount motor
Battery: TranzX 400wh 36V 11Ah BL 19 Battery
Display: TranzX DP16 PST LCD Display, 5 assist levels with Walk Function
Sensor: TranzX Wheel Sensor
Wiring loom: Battery Cable
Range: Eco 125Km 85Km in normal use
I have an e-bike from Ebco that uses the same motor/battery/system from TranzX. The American division of Raleigh and others used the same system on a number of their e-bikes, and those had throttles fitted although US bikes had an uprated 350w version of the M16 motor to allow 20mph assist as permitted there. The early systems had a push button throttle, later a thumb throttle. None of the makers in the EU that used the same system fitted throttles because they're not legal/permitted by law.

The problem you have is the system is now old and no-one uses it anymore (TranzX deleted the M16 from their catalogue last year after maybe 8-10 years of production). The controller is in the motor, so there may be a plug there for a throttle, but it's CANbus... even if you can get a generic throttle to plug/wire in, IIRC I think you need the dealer software to enable it. I have that software, and it links to TranzX's database over the internet to determine what's fitted to your bike and once it's sussed yours is a UK configuration from the component identifiers, I suspect it wouldn't enable it in the same way as it won't allow you to tinker with the maximum speed.

Personally, apart from connecting and updating software, I wouldn't tinker with any of it... if you toast your controller, that's the end of your bike (some parts are becoming very difficult to get now, and IMHO it'd be beyond economic repair).

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
If 500W pedelecs become legal along with throttles:

...the OP could perhaps install a second 250W drive system on his mid-drive bike ie hub motor kit complete with second battery and throttle, keep the second drive system's PAS switched off and just use it's throttle when needed.

Last edited: