Raleigh Superbe 1951 Conversion

PeterCo

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 6, 2015
It's been a successful conversion and it rides very smoothly. Weighs about half a hundredweight but when it's rolling that's ok. Had to file the fork dropouts a little to get them to fit. Lacing up the motor into the matching rim went well. Had to fit a longer bottom bracket axle to fit the cadence sensor. A couple of wires were extended and I tried to hide as many of them in the saddlebag along with the 10ah battery. I seem to get a range of 25 miles on level 3 ( mid one) before I begin to be anxious! Yose kit from eBay. Brakes are only just ok. I use it for meandering on quiet lanes.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
That's an interesting conversion. it's great to see the lubrication points. It brings back memories of squirting 3 in 1 into the hub and BB on my old BSA, which was the only maintenance it got. Yeah, those little ball bearing valves for it and the little tab that you had to lift on the Sturmey Archer 4-speed.

PS I'll give you a fiver for the bell.

Reactions: PeterCo

PeterCo

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 6, 2015
That's an interesting conversion. it's great to see the lubrication points. It brings back memories of squirting 3 in 1 into the hub and BB on my old BSA, which was the only maintenance it got. Yeah, those little ball bearing valves for it and the little tab that you had to lift on the Sturmey Archer 4-speed.

PS I'll give you a fiver for the bell.
It's an excellent ding ding bell and still made and I think the modern ones are only a tenner on eBay.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It's an excellent ding ding bell and still made and I think the modern ones are only a tenner on eBay.
I tried most of them, and they all broke in weeks. Actually, the Halfords black one at £7 is pretty good. It's lasted 6 months so far and still going strong.

The old vintage bells last a lifetime and they can be worth more than the bike they're on, like Lucas bells go for anywhere between £50 and £150.

Reactions: PeterCo