Range problem - what are my options?

axolotl

Pedelecer
May 8, 2014
I recently bought a BH E-Motion Diamond with a 12Ah battery. It was supposed to come with a 13.5Ah battery but after waiting several weeks the dealer was unable to supply it and offered the 12Ah battery instead at a small discount.

I live in a very hilly area and normal commute to work is about 24 miles with about 600m of ascent. On medium power assist, one return trip is almost completely draining the battery. I've done the trip a number of times now though, and it does always seem to last the trip.

The real problem is going to come in September when I have to get to uni, which is a 29 mile round trip with 730m of ascent. I'm planning a trial run in the next few days but frankly I don't think it's going to make it. This is very disappointing because this was one of my basic requirements when I bought the bike.

Do I:

1. Buy an 8Ah battery and take it with me to swap in when the big battery dies. I guess this would work, but it's additional weight and loss of carrying capacity.

2. Find a bigger battery than 12Ah and return the 12Ah battery to the dealer. I don't know if a suitable battery even exists though.

3. Something I haven't thought of. I'm open to suggestions.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
The current situation is only a small invonvenience. If your dealer offers discount on another 12AH battery, consider it because you can swap battery at work. Otherwise, I'd wait until BH make a bigger size battery or upgrade when the warranty runs out.

D

Deleted member 4366

Yes, a difficult problem. No bigger battery exists at the moment.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
if it were my bike, I'd add another battery on the rear rack and wire it in with a switch.

Reactions: axolotl

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Number 3 is ride on low power and increase the range that way.
Going a little slower also drops the power requirement. Cycling at 17mph also increases the battery range too!

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Easier said than done, try and put in more leg work obviously on flat level with the power off or on the lowest power assist setting as far as you can.
Then on the way home continue to treat your riding habit as normal.
Or
Buy a smaller battery as backup. The choice is yours my lovely friend.:)

MS.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
My suggestion would be to charge the battery at the University. The battery would also benefit from doing this since you would not be discharging it so deeply. I can't see the University objecting because the cost of the electricity is negligible.

axolotl

Pedelecer
May 8, 2014
Number 3 is ride on low power and increase the range that way.
Going a little slower also drops the power requirement. Cycling at 17mph also increases the battery range too!
Long term, this is where I want to be. However, whilst my fitness levels are increasing, I'm still a long way off where I was 2years ago when I was bike commuting and hillwalking regularly. I need a solution for this September.

Charging at uni probably isn't an option unless I can find a sympathetic tutor or admin person. I'm going as a mature student, not a lecturer, so I won't have my own office or anything.

Frankly, I'd rather shoot myself than sign up for gym membership. I can think of little else more tedious. No offence intended to you, Tom, I just really hate gyms and all forms of sport leave me disinterested too. I've always got the exercise I need by doing stuff outside, usually by myself, so biking is pretty imoortant to me and I'm already a big fan of ebikes.

Reactions: jackhandy

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
If I ever get the urge to exercise, I have a lie down until it passes.

Reactions: VictoryV

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
C

Cyclezee

I would go with Tillson's suggestion, a progressive and forward thinking university would allow you to recharge a battery, I'm sure students will be regularly charging laptops.
Rather than having to carry a charger with you a second one would be a lot cheaper than an additional battery.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs

axolotl

Pedelecer
May 8, 2014
I would go with Tillson's suggestion, a progressive and forward thinking university would allow you to recharge a battery, I'm sure students will be regularly charging laptops.
Well, you would hope so wouldn't you? I've written to the university and await their response.

In the meantime, I'm thinking I'll get a spare battery anyway. It'll increase my usable range a lot and that would be useful in itself.

C

Cyclezee

Hi Axolotl,

In either scenario you are going to need somewhere safe and secure to store a second battery or charge whilst at Uni, but I guess that you had already thought that one through.

axolotl

Pedelecer
May 8, 2014
Hi Axolotl,

In either scenario you are going to need somewhere safe and secure to store a second battery or charge whilst at Uni, but I guess that you had already thought that one through.
Well, if I get a spare battery, it'll just go in my rucksack. As for battery charging, I'm waiting for the uni's security boss to get back to me.

axolotl

Pedelecer
May 8, 2014
After mulling this over, I've decided to get a spare 8Ah battery. The supplier has offered me one at a good price in view of the problems I've had so it's looking like the best option. Also, the 8Ah battery is light enough to carry around with me, so it won't be a problem at uni.

I'm now looking forward to seeing how far I can go with both batteries (20Ah combined). I reckon 50 miles should be achievable which would bring Manchester within range. Exciting stuff!