Re-fit defunct Freego Eagle

Glynemrys

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 30, 2019
Hi.

I’m currently touring Spain and my Freego Eagle bike has packed in again (about the 4th time!), so I am considering re-kiting my existing bike out When I get home.I know for sure that the 16ah 36v battery is fine, it’s either the hub motor or controller at fault. My existing bike has everything I would want in a new bike - hydraulic disc brakes with motor cut out, throttle, pedal assist mudguards, pannier etc etc, so I would need just a new controller with LCD (5 levels of assist) and new rear hub motor (mine is 45nm torque and don’t want to go below that) along with the wiring loom and possibly on/off button with buttons to change the level of assist. The wheels are 26” and it has 26x200 700c tyres.

I don’t want to go down the route of buying an oversized and over powered rear hub motor, but perhaps a 350w version would be good.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Whoosh bikes have been great but can only supply a full kit including the battery which I don’t need.

Glyn

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Under what circumstances did it pack in ?
Hub motors are generally bullet proof as there is little to go wrong with them.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
In the days when Wisper and freego were one and the same, circa 2013/14.

This is before David Miall current director set up AMPS in 7 oaks who now produce bikes under the Wisper brand.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
45nm is not a bad torque figure for a hub from 2013/14.

Glynemrys

Jun 30, 2019
Under what circumstances did it pack in ?
Hub motors are generally bullet proof as there is little to go wrong with them.
Hi. I’ve had issues with the wiring loom previously, and have completely retired it myself eliminating any dry joints (all now soldered). I suspect it is the controller. The bike is nearly 7 year old now, and has intermittent faults before, but this time, as I was riding along, on the flat doing less than 5 miles an our when “error code 30” came on the display and all power was lost. Switching it off then back on again, brings on the lcd display as normal, but any attempt to ride it results in the error code 30 again. Thanks for the input. Glyn

Glynemrys

Jun 30, 2019
In the days when Wisper and freego were one and the same, circa 2013/14.

This is before David Miall current director set up AMPS in 7 oaks who now produce bikes under the Wisper brand.
Yep that’s right!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Error 30 is comm's and could be anything between display and controller in the wire loom.
For 5 assist levels don't mess about and buy the well regarded KT stuff, a KT 9 fet controller rather then a 6 fet model and couple it with one of a dozen displays. LCD 3 is bullet proof and the lcd4 is discreet. There is cheaper stuff but they aren't as user friendly as the KT's.
The first 3 pages show the various displays available.
If changing controller buy a display and new 1t4 or 1t2 trunk cable as well.
All should be available on Aliexp as well.

The 9fet controllers are 22 or 25a rated but one can set the max current lower via the display settings.

LED,LCD1,LCD3,LCD5,LCD6,LED810,LED890,C963,C965,C961 for ebike (topbikekit.com)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The 9 fet probably is a bit too big to fit in the controller housing so you may have to opt for a 6 fet model, they can be had as 15, 17 or 20a.

Glynemrys

Jun 30, 2019
Error 30 is comm's and could be anything between display and controller in the wire loom.
For 5 assist levels don't mess about and buy the well regarded KT stuff, a KT 9 fet controller rather then a 6 fet model and couple it with one of a dozen displays. LCD 3 is bullet proof and the lcd4 is discreet. There is cheaper stuff but they aren't as user friendly as the KT's.
The first 3 pages show the various displays available.
If changing controller buy a display and new 1t4 or 1t2 trunk cable as well.
All should be available on Aliexp as well.

The 9fet controllers are 22 or 25a rated but one can set the max current lower via the display settings.

LED,LCD1,LCD3,LCD5,LCD6,LED810,LED890,C963,C965,C961 for ebike (topbikekit.com)
Hi Nealh, thanks for the info. I must be honest tho, I’m a little unsure of what piece of kit works with what! I need to learn a bit more I think!

thank you for your help.

regards

Glyn