Real Bicycle Bells

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Quote " with bells they seem to cause pedestrians to jump out of the way and mutter comments about "B" cyclist thinking they own the place. "

I have to say that my traditional "tring,tring" bell gets a very positive reaction from pedestrians that I approach from behind. As I also walk quite a lot as well as cycle I would react positively too as so many cyclist pass walkers with no warning at all!

Reactions: LeighPing and sjpt

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
I have to say I like the Crane brass bell, but have noticed for several years bells as a cycle warning are not that best received by pedestrians, even if they effectively warn.
I perceive they are seen as a bit aggressive and on shared ways more a demand to get out of the way rather than warn and request we work out a way for me to pass safely.
We both have for a long time had the squeeze type kids bike tooter horns, these are far better received as well as achieving the required warning. In use we more normally receive a friendly meant amused comment and the requisite clear way to pass, with bells they seem to cause pedestrians to jump out of the way and mutter comments about "B" cyclist thinking they own the place. Just a long held observation, but the brass bell looks impressive and a pride in ownership thing, certainly compared to my toy plastic hooter. We have the mini ping type bell the bikes came with, but rarely use them.
Yes, i know what you mean, though horns can also be regarded as aggressive. My traditional bike has a much louder 'tick' when free-wheeling, which is a really useful friendly warning but not my e-bike...

redalexx

Pedelecer
The Crane or Basil bells offer a few usage modes.

- 3 loud pings for old persons or playing kids
- 2 medium pings for mothers with babys

It works very well @Ocsid ! But driver of cars or trucks cannot hear the bell - somethimes this makes me really crazy.

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Last week I had a single ‘ding’ bell on my bike, - now I have 4 from e-bay to choose from but 2 need repair or adjustment as all are 2nd hand and each at an unheard of price.

Jim

Nicholas Hammond

Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2018
I may be one of those with more money than sense, but after trying some of the poor bells available in bike shops I splashed out on a Lion Bell Works bell (they are made in England too) it is nicely made of brass and stainless steel. The simple dinger can be controlled to give quite loud or quite a soft ding and has a long sustain, it seems to be heard a good distance away. We have lots of walkers, horse riders and other cyclists enjoying our quiet lanes here in the Brecon Beacons and the nice tone of this bell seems to give good warning and gets a smile which is always a bonus. The old adage that you get what you pay for is still true. Google “Lion bell Works” to find their range.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Only the bring-bring bells work against pedestrians. Other types of bell and horn work on occasions but bring-bring is the most consistent. Sound level doesn't seem to be a factor.

Crossroads

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2017
5 bob or 5 shillings . There were 20 shillings in a pound so work it out! They were propper pounds tho not to be confused with today's pounds as they could by alsorts of stuff. In my smoking days a pack of fags cost two and a penny. That's two shillings and and one pence..
First pint in a pub cost me 15 pence New Money and my e bike cost me £ 200 less than my father paid for a 3 bedroomed bungalow in an orchard in Dorset. Then again, we don't earn £20 a week now, do we?

Crossroads

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2017
Reluctantly given up on bells, too many hard of hearing or 'plugged in' pedestrians. And no chance of motorists hearing them whatsoever.

Just got a Hornit DB140
watch
Better an annoyed pedestrian than an injured one, on balance.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Reluctantly given up on bells, too many hard of hearing or 'plugged in' pedestrians. And no chance of motorists hearing them whatsoever.

Just got a Hornit DB140
watch
Better an annoyed pedestrian than an injured one, on balance.
All these sort of products seem logical, but they just don't work. I tried many similar ones, and I can tell you that pedestrians ears are just not tuned to any noises other than bring-bring. The worst thing about those electronic ones are that the pedestrians don't respond to the first sound, so you press it again when you're nearer, which they hear, but they don't understand what it is, so they turn around to see and step right into you. It didn't take me long to figure out that they're more of a liability than an asset.

I keep telling you, all you need is a bring-bring bell. It's still not 100%, but is far better than any other type of bell or sounding device as far as pedestrians are concerned. Also, you won't get so many bad comments from the pedestrians when you use one, like it's the type of bell they allow you to use.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
The halford black £6 tring tring is the best I think, and I’ve tried a few

Decathlon do a similar silver version for £5 I think, but have a tendency to quietly ding as you ride along, which is annoying. Also there’s a ‘I heart my bike’ sticker on it, which isn’t helping my street cred

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
On my 162km ride today I came across numerous walkers/pedestrians and slower cyclist's and had no issue with attracting there attention with my ping bell.