Real Life Range

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
very few dongles keep speed correct tough... would be nice if it did.
because if it doesn't , only purpose if my display would be the battry indicator...
thats why i went for the speedbox 2. i really liked the functions of the blackped+ but didnt want to have to deal with the wrong speed being displayed if i wasnt using my phone as a display

Doomanic

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2017
uk
I totally see the point of it, use it frequently, and wouldn't want to be without it.
Having actually ridden my bike now, I too can see the point of eco. I am a little disappointed with the range, although it was the first ride on the first (factory) charge.
I did 19.3 miles in the FoD in 2 hrs 8 minutes with an av speed of 9mph and a max speed of 32.4mph in a mix of modes, but mostly Eco as it was enough for all but the steepest climbs where I used Tour with the occasional blast of e-MTB to get me over the top. I tried Turbo a couple of times but it was just too much for the boggy, rooty conditions and I ended up on my arse a couple of times... :D
I can't check how much climbing I did as Strava decided to be a dick. Again.

Reactions: EddiePJ

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Having actually ridden my bike now, I too can see the point of eco. I am a little disappointed with the range, although it was the first ride on the first (factory) charge.
I did 19.3 miles in the FoD in 2 hrs 8 minutes with an av speed of 9mph and a max speed of 32.4mph in a mix of modes, but mostly Eco as it was enough for all but the steepest climbs where I used Tour with the occasional blast of e-MTB to get me over the top. I tried Turbo a couple of times but it was just too much for the boggy, rooty conditions and I ended up on my arse a couple of times... :D
Batteries tend to be less productive in winter.. my bikes go much further in summer.

• Agree
Reactions: Andrew K

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0001.JPG
that was dry tho and 400w batt

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I should have really expanded upon my reply.

As you have now become aware, eco is a very useful setting for when conserving the battery. It just means that you will be probably dropping two gears over what you might have otherwise have used in say Tour mode.

It is also beneficial for when out riding with analogue mtb riders. If I am out on group rides, I find that I require no setting higher than eco to maintain climbing pace.

Eco mode is also very useful for when riding tight technical, low speed terrain. It offers far more control than the other modes, including eMTB mode which I have a massive hatred of.

I've let things slip a bit recently, but I am very thorough about record keeping for my rides, and taking this one below from a few nights ago which was 14.5 miles long with an elevation gain of 1,649ft, the whole ride was completed using eco. I can't supply the battery stats, as both the battery and motor are very annoyingly shot to s**t

Speed V distance.

Distance V elevation.

Watts V speed. As you can see, the output was actually very low, as the riding conditions were so dire, and using higher power settings would not have had any benefit.

Last edited:

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
I find for single track eco and tour are perfect. With Sports and Turbo saved for fire roads and very steep sections.

Completed a 2.6km 400m climb in eco yesterday, good workout but doable with occassional use of tour. Was trying save battery as it was start of long ride, nice to finish day with power to spare especially as home leg is 3km hill.

Reactions: EddiePJ

Doomanic

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2017
uk
that was dry tho and 400w batt
It was gopping today, especially the red.

To give you an idea of the terrain I covered I did the full blue, from car park to car park, then the red to where the extension leaves the blue route, then followed the blue to Swallowvallets where I did Launch Pad and Countdown, finally, I followed the blue to the last section of red and did that and a bit of to-ing and fro-ing in the carpark until I realised I had no cash on me for the bike wash...

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
It was gopping today, especially the red.

To give you an idea of the terrain I covered I did the full blue, from car park to car park, then the red to where the extension leaves the blue route, then followed the blue to Swallowvallets where I did Launch Pad and Countdown, finally, I followed the blue to the last section of red and did that and a bit of to-ing and fro-ing in the carpark until I realised I had no cash on me for the bike wash...
few more vids if you look ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
fod not far from the car park i think ;)

Related Articles

Advertisers