Really want an electric bike!

bradgirl

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 21, 2008
I live in Bradford, West Yorkshire, where there are lots of hills!! Only have a 4 mile commute to work so would love to cycle, it's just the hills that would be a killer for a normal bike.

Can't afford a brand new bike when I don't really know how enjoyable I will find cycling, so looking out for second hand ones - got my eye on the Powabyke X6 in the classifieds but not sure I can justify driving all the way to Norwich for it! Do electric bikes come up for sale much on ebay/on here? Where would be the best place to look for a sub £500 second hand machine?

Also, if anyone has any tips on which bikes would be best for my commute, that would be great. I've been lurking on these forums for a couple of years now and still not got around to buying - I still feel very out of my depth with electric bike talk/specs and any advice would be hugely appeciated.

Thanks for reading.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
I see you've already found our 'Classified' section, which is a better place than many - not such a gamble as buying 2nd hand from ebay, for example.

You're not that far from Buxton, across in Derbyshire. Might be worth a trip down there to visit JuicyBikes, which are a little over your budget, but not vastly. (Many people, me included, come to ebiking with a fixed budget in mind which rapidly goes out of the window; you CAN get cheap ebikes, but probably only 2nd hand, and unless you get very lucky, probably in Norfolk, or Liverpool, and not in Bradford!)

Allen.

bradgirl

Jul 21, 2008
Well, I am now the proud owner of a JuicyBike Sport 2011!! Went to see Bob in Buxton yesterday, had a test drive, loved the bike and brought one home with me! I'm heading out to the park this morning to get some more time in on it - I'm very excited!!

billadie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2010
Tewkesbury
Enjoy the ride - let us know what you think of the bike.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Well, I am now the proud owner of a JuicyBike Sport 2011!! Went to see Bob in Buxton yesterday, had a test drive, loved the bike and brought one home with me!
A buyer after my own heart. See it, like it, buy it. No poncing about or dithering!

I've never met Bob, never ridden a Juicy, but his infectious enthusiasm has impressed me and many others on this forum.

Best of luck, and as billadie says, please give us reports on your progress.

A.

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
HI Bradgirl,

How are you getting on with your new Juicy bike on your 4 mile hilly commute?

Penny

iaing

Pedelecer
May 27, 2008
L31
I see you've already found our 'Classified' section, which is a better place than many - not such a gamble as buying 2nd hand from ebay, for example.

You're not that far from Buxton, across in Derbyshire. Might be worth a trip down there to visit JuicyBikes, which are a little over your budget, but not vastly. (Many people, me included, come to ebiking with a fixed budget in mind which rapidly goes out of the window; you CAN get cheap ebikes, but probably only 2nd hand, and unless you get very lucky, probably in Norfolk, or Liverpool, and not in Bradford!)

Allen.
Very lucky in Liverpool? As someone who lives nearby this realy caught my attention, but what did you mean please?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Iain

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Sorry Iain, here is a rewrite of that paragraph:

you CAN get cheap ebikes, but probably only 2nd hand, and unless you get very lucky, sod's law says that these second-hand bikes will be hundreds of miles away from your home in Bradford

Hope that clarifies things!

A

bjohn

May 10, 2011
Well, I am now the proud owner of a JuicyBike Sport 2011!! Went to see Bob in Buxton yesterday, had a test drive, loved the bike and brought one home with me! I'm heading out to the park this morning to get some more time in on it - I'm very excited!!
I'm green and sdtill looking

bradgirl

Jul 21, 2008
Hi Penny

Really sorry, I've not been on here for ages - I've been having too much fun on my bike!!

I am finding the JuicyBike Sport absolutely fantastic for my commute. It takes me 22 minutes every day (if not a bit less) and I find that I can put more effort in if I want to or just sit back and let the bike take the strain!

I would highly recommend this bike for hill climbing and at the price, it is fab!

Where are you based? I'd be happy for you to have a try if you're anywhere near Bradford.

Kelly

Supermack

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2009
Greater London, HA3
Hi..

I also live in Bradford...and I also own a Juicybike Sport...not kidding!

However my one is not on the road - its in the kitchen. I upgraded to a different bike - I got on a discount..

The Juicybike was very powerful as I remember - no problems getting up hills at all - just my brakes need tuning.

//BTW I bought mine in 2009 so it is probably an older model... still works...

Last edited:

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
I'm now sorted with a fantastic bike and live miles away from you, but I appreciate the kind offer! Its great isn't it, being able to cycle to work and back (or whereever) in a hill area without it putting us off....

Hi Penny

Really sorry, I've not been on here for ages - I've been having too much fun on my bike!!

I am finding the JuicyBike Sport absolutely fantastic for my commute. It takes me 22 minutes every day (if not a bit less) and I find that I can put more effort in if I want to or just sit back and let the bike take the strain!

I would highly recommend this bike for hill climbing and at the price, it is fab!

Where are you based? I'd be happy for you to have a try if you're anywhere near Bradford.

Kelly

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
You'll have to wave to each other - though perhaps not if yours is stuck in the kitchen.

Hi..

I also live in Bradford...and I also own a Juicybike Sport...not kidding!

However my one is not on the road - its in the kitchen. I upgraded to a different bike - I got on a discount..

The Juicybike was very powerful as I remember - no problems getting up hills at all - just my brakes need tuning.

//BTW I bought mine in 2009 so it is probably an older model... still works...