rear carrier cover

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
i have a thule towbar mounted bike carrier and wonder if anyone can suggest a robust cover to go over the bikes.
i have googled this and found a few already with mixed reviews, so have you folks used any ?
thanks in advance

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
Personally, I wouldn't! On the basis that the bike will be fixed securely to the carrier and a cover is only to protect the bike while on the road, the cover fixing is going to be more difficult once the bikes are attached to the carrier and off you cover them first you compromise the fixing. This means that either the bike or the cover fixing will be compromised and the worst case scenario as a result of that is that something calls/blows off the carrier and causes the car behind to be involved in a fatal accident. Like I said - not worth it for just keeping the bike a bit cleaner, you can clean it when you arrive!

James

D

Deleted member 4366

I don't know whether I've understood the last post correctly, but if you put a cover over the bike while travelling, the wind load on it will be massive. The cover would probably get ripped to shreds and your fuel consumtion will go up dramatically. That's if the whole rack doesn't get twisted off. You'd probably be OK as long as you don't go over 40 mph.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The only people who put covers on their bikes behind a vehicle are camping van drivers. Because of the reasons d8veh gives above it is impossible for cars and because the "aerodynamics" or rather the lack of behind a van bikes get filthy.

If your bike rack is behind a van and out of the air-stream check out camping van accessory shops.

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
sorry should have said bikes are on back of van and i have checked out campervan sites but some critisise even well known makes like fiamma (not for aerodynamics) and only wondered if any one on here has experience.
i don,t bother with cover on non electric bike and it gets filthy but as has been said i wash it on arrival but am concerned about rain etc on my electric bike.
this is because i have read on this site about detrimental effects of heavy rain on e bikes whilst being ridden, let alone fixed to the back of a van
thats a good point about the dangers of fitting a cover when a car is used and possibly the reason why a perfectly good cover from halfords that looks identical to those used for campervans says not to use for when on a rack , because they assume a car will be used?
if this is not a problem and it,s perfectly ok to not bother and the bike will be fine then thats great and i can save myself the trouble and money.
thanks

Last edited:

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
i have a thule towbar mounted bike carrier and wonder if anyone can suggest a robust cover to go over the bikes.
i have googled this and found a few already with mixed reviews, so have you folks used any ?
thanks in advance
Stevie, I carry 2 ebikes on a towball mounted Thule carrier and like you I looked around for a cover, not for everyday use but for unexpectedly being caught in the rain as we don't use the bikes in rain or if rain is forecast. I ended up buying this one:

Oxford Aquatex Bicycle Cover 3 Bikes 200 x 105 x 110cm

from Tredz for about £18. Although it's described as a 3 Bike cover it's actually a snug fit on 2 ebikes. I also carry several lengths of cord/rope for securing the cover to the bikes and carrier. So far I haven't had to use it but I'm sure it would serve the purpose of keeping the main parts of the bikes dry in an emergency. I've taken on board the comments re the advisability of using a cover however I rarely carry the bikes more than 20 miles and would have no problem reducing my speed if need be. Hope this helps.

Jim

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
thanks jim
yes that info does help .
the weather has been very unpredictable recently and even a short journey can get anything on the back of my van filthy

emjaiuk

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 20, 2011
NW Surrey TW17
I bought a heavy duty motorcycle cover, which is big enough to be a relatively easy fit over two bikes, and has lasted 3 years so far with no problems. One large bungee cord round vertically and one horizontally.

Malcolm

DannyK

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2008
Brecon Mid Wales
I have a Fiamma cover for our two electric bikes for use behind our motorhome . traveled many thousands of miles in France at 50 to 70 mph and never had a problem. It is secured by two rubber bungys which come fixed to the bottom of the cover and clip on the carrier.

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
thats reassuring to hear danny,
seems like i have more options than i first thought.
ta.