Rear derailleur problems

suggy

Pedelecer
Oct 21, 2019
I have a carrera crossfire bike and i find the rear derailleur to be prity useless i have tried all sorts to sort the shifting
out. So i am after buying a new one can anybody recommend a descent shimano model because that is what my shifter is.
any help most appreciated

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The issue is most likely in the cable; rusty or broken strand of wire especially where it is inside a casing, or taking a slightly wrong path (eg round the bottom bracket).

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
also check that the mech hanger is not bent as will also cause poor shifting.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I have a carrera crossfire bike and i find the rear derailleur to be prity useless i have tried all sorts to sort the shifting
out. So i am after buying a new one can anybody recommend a descent shimano model because that is what my shifter is.
any help most appreciated
Look on YouTube for the adjustment procedures, once the previous thoughts from others here have been checked out!
In my limited experience, its usually a cable, I forget to lube mine, and then comes rust or dirt!
Or both!
Replace with quality versions and lube well.....
Andy

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
I have a carrera crossfire bike and i find the rear derailleur to be prity useless i have tried all sorts to sort the shifting out. So i am after buying a new one can anybody recommend a descent shimano model because that is what my shifter is. any help most appreciated
I've just had your same problem and I traced it to the cable snagging slightly on the plastic cable guide under the bottom bracket.
I've used this model for years and it seems ok.

Reactions: Andy-Mat

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Jagwire stainless steel gear cables are cheap replace your old cable.