Rear light staying on

Leannelle

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 18, 2021
So I’ve been tinkering with the lcd 861 display unit on my bike. Just looking through the options and getting familiar with it.

Normally, if you press the button marked ‘cur’ both front and rear lights come on. Press again and they go off, all very straightforward - however since my tinkering, the rear light has come on and stayed on. I didn’t notice when it came on and the ‘cur’ button now just switches the front light on and off, with the rear one staying on.

I’ve tried going back through the menu to try to replicate what I might have done but nothing is working. The light goes off when I switch the unit off. Any ideas what I might have pressed?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The lights are switched by a transistor inside the LCD. If you overload it, like any short in the lighting circuit or if you fit a light that's too powerful for it, it blows and stays on. Was or is there a problem with the front light?

Leannelle

Jan 18, 2021
No problem with the front light, it still switches on and off with the button. The lights were already fitted to the bike - I didn’t add them

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I don't understand what you mean. Which switch/s are you using to switch each light on and off.

Leannelle

Jan 18, 2021
The button marked ‘cur’ on the right is to switch both lights on and off together. And was happily doing that before I messed with it.
Now that ‘cur’ button still switches the front light on and off, but the rear light is on permanently until I switch the unit off completely

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The button marked ‘cur’ on the right is to switch both lights on and off together. And was happily doing that before I messed with it.
Now that ‘cur’ button still switches the front light on and off, but the rear light is on permanently until I switch the unit off completely
In that case you have a short circuit in your wiring or the light, or somebody has done something weird with the lighting circuit, like adding a relay. You should be able to follow the live wire to the rear light to see where it's getting its power from.

Reactions: Leannelle