Rear Panniers

dcb568

Pedelecer
Dec 22, 2018
I’m looking at buying the Ortlieb e-Mate pannier for a Reiss and Müller eBIKE Tinker. The eBIKE has 20” wheels and a RackTime carrier. The e-Mate is not as wide as the RackTime panniers but generally they are similar in size (15” height) but I’m concerned that the panniers will hang too low or that my ankle will hit the pannier as I ride.
Can someone riding a 20” wheel, tell me what rear pannier you use or what might be okay for me.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Why would you buy an e-Mate rather than a cheaper Ortlieb pannier? I got a pair of back roller city for less than the price of one of those! I carry my batteries in them too - just not in a fancy useless battery bag...

I have a pair of Sport Roller City on the trike, they would work with a 20" wheel.

dcb568

Pedelecer
Dec 22, 2018
Hi. Thanks for your reply. Have looked at the front pannier sports you mention. Main issue for us is the pannier distance from ground and ankles when peddling. The general Roller Panniers are very close ground and the peddles. May be able to move them back from the peddles a tad but prefer not to block the side view of the built in rear lamp. Besides this, we actually like the eMate and some other panniers too

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
As many cyclists use the Ortlieb Classics (£100 a pair) would it be sensible to ask one of us you meet out, if they would be good enough to try one on your bike, or ask that of a dealer?
They take but seconds to clip on and off, and even if the hangers are not ideally spaced take moments to alter and return to the users position.
I suspect many would be as willing as me to have a chat with a fellow cyclists and do as suggested, and with a Tinker you have a bike that many would find interesting to discuss.

I find my Classics great and the extra capacity, 40 litres rather than 16, when that is needed because I purchase a bit too much at the Supermarket than planned, so useful. I suspect the longish frame of the Tinker will avoid heeling issues, but having a brief trial is by far the best route.

Edit: I see you have now looked.

dcb568

Pedelecer
Dec 22, 2018
Thanks Ocsid. I’m buying from a great eBIKE shop in London, who recommend the rollerback classic or eMate, though looking at photos kindly sent to me, recognise the peddles are close but they do not have the eMate in stock for comparison.

Attachments

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
The photos to me seem to indicate the generous clearance I was expecting in this case. However, as you said earlier it is the eMate style you like, so that probably is the way you need to go, just very expensive to even get 32 litres IMO.

I have never any issue with Ortlieb kit than the funds needed for it!
Plus, the fear and resulting extra care needed due to somebody looking to relieve me of my panniers.

• Agree
Reactions: anotherkiwi

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Hi. Thanks for your reply. Have looked at the front pannier sports you mention. Main issue for us is the pannier distance from ground and ankles when peddling. The general Roller Panniers are very close ground and the peddles. May be able to move them back from the peddles a tad but prefer not to block the side view of the built in rear lamp. Besides this, we actually like the eMate and some other panniers too
I worried about the rear light being hidden until I lent the bike to my GF and watched her ride off then passed her in the car and the light remains visible through a large enough arc from the rear.

I have had occasional heel strike because I use huge ergotec pedals and if my feet are not far enough forward by lack of attention they will touch.

Ortlieb paniers are my go to choice but I usually wait until a promotion comes along, I have never paid full price for one. My current set up is 2 x front roller city which I use on the trike for ground clearance and 2 x back roller city which I use for the moment on my pedelec - one for the battery and bike gear and the other for shopping. I have a couple of shoulder straps for carrying two panniers off the bikes.

When the trike is fully equipped all four panniers will be used for shopping/touring

Reactions: dcb568

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I use Ortleib back roller classic and within reason they can be adjusted to sit further back away from your heal on the rack very easily. A test ride is definitely the way to go. Like others the ability to overfill the back roller classic can be very useful and and a feature used more often than you might think.
Ride to work Thursley 19 05 18 018.JPG

dcb568

Pedelecer
Dec 22, 2018
I think it’s between the sports packer plus, gravel pack or eMate. The gravel pack won’t carry a battery, the sport packer is only 9” wide as opposed 11” with the eMate with the latter able to carry day kit, locks and battery

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
They are all strong enough to carry a battery - even my +6 kg 20 Ah monster battery from hell :) I agree that battery pouch is cute, but totally un-necessary don't get hung up on it being essential. I destroyed a lesser budget pannier, two even, carrying my battery before switching to Ortleib. I'll have to take a photo of my setup, the battery cable is rolled into the top when I close the pannier and I have never yet had water ingress.

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Another aspect might be worth mentioning, more so if you are new to panniers, is the assets of a non constrained bag as the rollers to the more confined shape box type pannier. They don't package much in supermarkets to ideally fit in constrained box type panniers.
I have to concede the box version can have more style and even I don't view the Rollers as stylish, but that's more the point, I actually don't see my rear ones either when cycling. Plus mine are in that eye catching yellow, not a styling choice but simply because they are eye catching and being seen as much as possible by others on the road is IMO a cyclist responsibility.
Still would love your Tinkers though.

dcb568

Pedelecer
Dec 22, 2018
Definitely agree with you on visability. I guess the eMate will hold water where battery goes, sandwiched and good one side and cables and bike stuff on the other side, plus my lady likes the eMate look and colour....... blue!

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Definitely agree with you on visability. I guess the eMate will hold water where battery goes, sandwiched and good one side and cables and bike stuff on the other side, plus my lady likes the eMate look and colour....... blue!
Well, put like that, it is clearly not your decision to make, just live with ;)

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Hi, these panniers are meant to fit a Tern GSD 20" wheel ebike.

https://www.ternbicycles.com/uk/bikes/gsd

GSD Panniers

https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/accessories-c11/bags-and-cases-c137/cargo-hold-panniers-p19569

Their other bikes

https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/accessories-c11/bags-and-cases-c137/big-mouth-pannier-bag-p19338

I dont know if this will help, the contact page is below if need to email about clip fittings etc.

Contact page

https://www.ternbicycles.com/uk/contact

I do not work for this company, just thought it would help.

Thanks

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
I’ve not gone out yet on my Quartz 20” folder (too cold and wintery) but from the foregoing discussion I can see my future problem with the pannier bags, - almost certainly my heels while pedalling will collide with the close proximity of the bags..... even though I’ve just bought a set of ACCESS E-Bike panniers their size seems about the same and neither will contain my large size Litelok lock.

Jim

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Just measured, I can move my Ortleib Back Roller City another 3 cm to the back. That is quite a few shoe sizes!

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
AK, thats ok with full size bikes but on 20” folders no consolation.

Jim

dcb568

Pedelecer
Dec 22, 2018
Hi, these panniers are meant to fit a Tern GSD 20" wheel ebike.

https://www.ternbicycles.com/uk/bikes/gsd

GSD Panniers

https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/accessories-c11/bags-and-cases-c137/cargo-hold-panniers-p19569

Their other bikes

https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/accessories-c11/bags-and-cases-c137/big-mouth-pannier-bag-p19338

I dont know if this will help, the contact page is below if need to email about clip fittings etc.

Contact page

https://www.ternbicycles.com/uk/contact

I do not work for this company, just thought it would help.

Thanks
Thanks, I’ll take a look st these too. Are they TackTime comparable or made for Tern racks? I’ll check

dcb568

Pedelecer
Dec 22, 2018
I’ve not gone out yet on my Quartz 20” folder (too cold and wintery) but from the foregoing discussion I can see my future problem with the pannier bags, - almost certainly my heels while pedalling will collide with the close proximity of the bags..... even though I’ve just bought a set of ACCESS E-Bike panniers their size seems about the same and neither will contain my large size Litelok lock.

Jim
Hi Jim
Ortlieb sell shorter front panniers. I’m waiting for the eMate to come in to the shop before buying but the Ortlieb sport packers and gravel packs look promising as does the larger Ortlieb trunk carrier. I’ll keep you posted