Rear torque arms for Carrera and Pendleton

Cadence

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2023
Having bought a cheap Pendleton Brooke to convert for my wife, I discovered that the rear aluminium dropouts looked a bit shallow to fit a rear hub motor - particularly on the forward edge. I had resigned myself to fitting a front motor until I discovered these on ebay:-

Carrera Ebike Torque Arm Washer Set Universal Fit Rear Motor M12 M14 M16 Axle | eBay

I'd seen posts elsewhere on the forum where others had concerns about the dropouts on various Carrera bikes and looking at the photo's I thought these might also fit the Pendleton:-

WP_20230903_14_47_15_Pro_LI.jpg

This is just a trial fit without having a motor to try (bike upside down), but it looks good enough to consider a rear hub motor now. I might need to file the dropouts slightly, but not much.
This looks a rather elegant solution to me and I can't see them mentioned elsewhere. It does rely on the M5 screw in the mudguard mount staying tight, but it should be OK for a relatively low powered motor (250/350W). I'll be using Loctite or a spring washer.
The vendor was very helpful, sending me some photos and dimensions before I ordered. Advertised as for Carrera models, these might also fit other Halfords brands (Boardman?).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: esuark

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
There are two axle sizes. 12mm x 10mm fit most of the motors we use on this forum. 14mm x 10mm fit the larger direct drive motors. Make sure that you get the correct ones for whatever motor you use.

Cadence

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2023
Having finally decided on a Yosepower rear hub kit, I was able to see how the torque arms fitted:-
WP_20230925_13_25_20_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20230925_13_26_04_Pro_LI.jpg
I think these are a rather neat design, and I didn't need to file the dropouts. Purely for personal preference I've swapped the supplied stainless hex screws for stainless domed socket screws (actually spare bottle cage screws).

The Pendleton Brooke was a steal at £35.00 and has made a good bike for my wife. "Step over" rather than step through, there was just enough space in the frame for a Hailong 36v. 13Ah battery:-
WP_20230925_13_31_23_Pro_LI.jpg
Items I've added are mudguards (already "in stock"), rear rack, North Road-style handlebars, long adjustable stem, kickstand and new cartridge-type brake pads. The handlebars and stem mean that I can adjust it for me to ride if she doesn't take to it. ;)

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
Your wife should be pleased with that. It’s a lovely bike.