Rear View Camera

Hovlev2

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2020
Just in case anyone's vaguely interested, I just fitted a rear view camera to my Oxygen MTB, which I find very useful, as you can keep a watchful eye on what's happening behind without doing a meerkat impression every few seconds.
The (wireless) camera came from AliExpress, cost about $26, and can be ordered to either work with a 12v or a 5v USB supply. I opted for the USB version, as there's a USB socket on the battery. Once it's powered up, you select the WiFi (transmitted by the camera) now visible on your phone, and open an app on your phone which displays the image, which can also be reversed, ie to a mirror image.
I mounted mine on the end of my rear rack, and rather than feed the wire up to the front of the bike, I shortened it, and connected it to a small power pack (might need to waterproof it though) The camera doesn't seem to use a lot of power either. Pic of camera and screenshot of image attached (taken in a very full garage!)2.jpgImage.png

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
Good that catch out anyone in a car whom is breaking the law
as we all know we all have, most of us on bikes went through much

I personally have in the past when a car driver has been way in the wrong and so near could have caused a casualty or a death .

Also know vast majority of car drivers are fine , just seems the odd few
but this camera is a very good idea , its a good thing as cams don't lie
well done thumbs up from me , looks good :)

Reactions: Hovlev2

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
Just in case anyone's vaguely interested, I just fitted a rear view camera to my Oxygen MTB, which I find very useful, as you can keep a watchful eye on what's happening behind without doing a meerkat impression every few seconds.
The (wireless) camera came from AliExpress, cost about $26, and can be ordered to either work with a 12v or a 5v USB supply. I opted for the USB version, as there's a USB socket on the battery. Once it's powered up, you select the WiFi (transmitted by the camera) now visible on your phone, and open an app on your phone which displays the image, which can also be reversed, ie to a mirror image.
I mounted mine on the end of my rear rack, and rather than feed the wire up to the front of the bike, I shortened it, and connected it to a small power pack (might need to waterproof it though) The camera doesn't seem to use a lot of power either. Pic of camera and screenshot of image attached (taken in a very full garage!)View attachment 37897View attachment 37899
Interesting idea @Hovlev2, thanks for sharing.

Is it recording or just real time? If recording, does it record onto the phone or does it have an internal SD card?

Hovlev2

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2020
Interesting idea @Hovlev2, thanks for sharing.

Is it recording or just real time? If recording, does it record onto the phone or does it have an internal SD card?
Yes, apparently you can record it to the phone (I haven't actually tried that yet)
The frame rate isn't particularly high, but for £20 ish, I can't complain, it's pretty inconspicuous, and it does the job.

Reactions: Gavin

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
If you hunt around ali-X you can find them on offer for as little as £10 or if in a hurry fleabay has them for about £15,
never seen a 5v version though. Might invest in one myself.

Hovlev2

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2020
I didn't want to be messing about with 12v, which would have been cheaper, but 5v gives you more flexibility

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Yes, it does. The photo in the garage was just a screenshot of the live image. Just thought it was a better option than mirrors.
Is it actually usable when riding? Meaning does it give a fair representation of whats behind you? I
like the idea of a bar mounted rear view mirror sort of thing.

Hovlev2

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2020
Is it actually usable when riding? Meaning does it give a fair representation of whats behind you? I
like the idea of a bar mounted rear view mirror sort of thing.
Yes, I'd say it does. You can set it for a normal image, or a mirror image. I still tend to check physically before making any moves in traffic, but you'll know if anything's behind you

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Yes of course you have to remember the view through a camera is reversed compared to looking at a mirror ... or is it the other way round..