Help! Rear Wheel gets stuck a bit when first accelerated

gusnis

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 22, 2020
Hi everyone I hope someone can help, I've just installed the
Voilamart 1500W 48V Electric Bicycle Conversion Kit EBike Rear Wheel
I have a little problem when I first accelerate the back wheel does run not smoothly it gets stuck a little bit I have to stop and repeat the operation 2 or 3 times until it actually wheel starts moving, ones that happen I can ride normally until I switch it off
and when I start it again the same thing happens.
Have anyone encounter a similar issue?
Thanks in advance

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
That's what happens when you run sensorless. How many wires are connected between the motor and the controller?

gusnis

Sep 22, 2020
Hi thanks for the reply
it is a white connector with 5 small cables
blue yellow green black and red
and then 3 thicker separate ones green yellow and blue

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi thanks for the reply
it is a white connector with 5 small cables
blue yellow green black and red
and then 3 thicker separate ones green yellow and blue
That's a sensored motor then. the only thing I can think of is that some controllers are dual mode and they'll switch to sensorless mode if they detect any problem with the hall sensors. If you have a meter, you can check that the hall sensors are working properly.

gusnis

Sep 22, 2020
That's a sensored motor then. the only thing I can think of is that some controllers are dual mode and they'll switch to sensorless mode if they detect any problem with the hall sensors. If you have a meter, you can check that the hall sensors are working properly.
OK i will check it out thanks

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
OK i will check it out thanks
You measure between black and each of the thin green, blue and yellow wires while you rotate the wheel with everything switched on. You should see each of the three pulsing on and off with 5v. Stuff your probes up the back of the white connector on the controller side.

gusnis

Sep 22, 2020
Hi there I have checked the sensors and they go from 4.6v to 0 so they seem alright
could It be a problem with the controller?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
This sort of thing was quite common 10 years ago when controllers were crappy, but Ib haven't heard it mentioned recently, apart from yours and guys running theirs sensorless for whatever reasons. Maybe it's just a crappy controller. After all, it is a very cheap kit. I always advise people to spend a bit more to get a kit with a PAS system that you can actually use.

All I can suggest is that you pedal to get started because you can blow the controller by giving it full power when its power pulses are not properly synchronised with the motor.

gusnis

Sep 22, 2020
This sort of thing was quite common 10 years ago when controllers were crappy, but Ib haven't heard it mentioned recently, apart from yours and guys running theirs sensorless for whatever reasons. Maybe it's just a crappy controller. After all, it is a very cheap kit. I always advise people to spend a bit more to get a kit with a PAS system that you can actually use.

All I can suggest is that you pedal to get started because you can blow the controller by giving it full power when its power pulses are not properly synchronised with the motor.
Thanks very much for your advice
I think I am gonna send it back as it still on warranty