Recommendation for a 250 or 500w ekit

matthewcl375

Just Joined
Dec 21, 2018
Hi everyone, ive been semi interested in electric bikes for a while now, i hired one a few days ago (a byocycles 250w 36v folding commuter bike) for a couple hours for a coastal ride and it was great fun.

For me the attraction is the exhileration and exercise of cycling combined with the confidence that a bad hill or exhaustion isnt going to ruin your rides. I have a motorbike too so im not interested in building a super fast ebike.

Im looking for recommendations for a rear wheel kit, i am fairly big as in tall and broad, so i feel like maybe 48v would be better than 36v, id get either a 250w or 500w kit, i dont really mind as long as it can do 15-20mph at the highest pedal assist setting.

I also had some trouble with hills on the ebike i hired, i had to do a lot of work to get up some of them and the motor sounded like it was straining which is why i feel i might be best with a 48v or 500w motor?

In terms of battery anything between 12 and 17 ah would be great, just decent range really.

I would be fitting it to a mountain bike and my price range is about £500-600 at the max, i am happy to buy on 0% finance and i have a local bike shop that can help with fitting it

Thanks for your help

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
The wattage rating of motors is merely their continuous rating and nothing to do with power consumed or produced. It is merely the power the motor can continuously use without overheating. A 48v controller that is, say, 20A max will deliver 960w nominal on top setting .
All kits will come pre-set to the legal assist speed limit of 15.5mph, some are adjustable through programming.

Have a look at woosh kits here:
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?hubkits
They have a good reputation and presence on the forum.

Crossed with AK's post.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Another plus for Woosh; both kits and customer service. Drop them and email or give them a ring and they will give advice; the kit anotherkiwi suggested looks very much what you are asking for,

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
48v with 17 or 20a controller. 250,350 or 500w not alot in them, it's all dependant on the controller amp rating and the the voltage. Obviously the 500w is the one if you want to the throw 25/30a in to it then the flip side is you need a battery that can sustain the output which adds cost.

Woosh bikes like many here say give a fantastic service also YosePower .com maya have a 48v rear kit available.
The other option is a Tongsheng 48v 250w mid drive kit from Woosh, instead of pas/cadence sensor it uses a torque sensor that might appeal if you prefer a more natural feel. The more effort you put in the more it multiplies the power.

matthewcl375

Just Joined
Dec 21, 2018
Thank you guys, i checked out woosh but i didnt think they appeared to have any finance options available, can anyone advise whether they offer finance or not?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The other option is a Tongsheng 48v 250w mid drive kit from Woosh, instead of pas/cadence sensor it uses a torque sensor that might appeal if you prefer a more natural feel. The more effort you put in the more it multiplies the power.
Which, when you are tired at the end of a long hard ride, negates having a motor for assistance...

The GSM will take 48v nicely if you stick to a 15 Amp controller, 17 Amps if it is flat where you ride.

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
Another thumbs up for Woosh

The great thing with them is that all their manuals are on-line, so you can see any problems areas of your bike before you start. I addition, Woosh will customise your kit, making sure that you get the correct type of PAS and brake sensors etc. (I don't think any other company does this). Add in the superb after sales support and you can't go wrong.

I have a Woosh XF08-CST kit (250W) : it copes well with all the local hills but one - and that one even cars have trouble getting up! Range with a 17AH battery is about 60 miles - more if you keep to the lower assist levels.
The 48V SWX02 kit is probably even better, but I don't regret my decision to go for the XF08.

matthewcl375

Just Joined
Dec 21, 2018
Cyclotricity do, currently looking at their 500w rear wheel kit, i would go front wheel for less weight and less of a nightmare when it gets a puncture but ive been told front wheel drive is rubbish on the hills

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
the 500w Cyclotricity motor is direct drive, so with a lack of reduction gears, will not be great at hill climbing. You will get better allround performance from a smaller and much lighter 48v 250/350w geared hub and a 17amp controller.

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
Cyclotricity was the first ebike conversion place I found. Didn't go with them because although their kits start off looking cheap, as soon as you add everything you need (PAS, a display, a freewheel etc.) then it starts to look very expensive. I never came across anything about brake sensors on their site either.

I wouldn't consider a front hub conversion - too much weight at the front (motor or luggage) makes a bike feel weird to me. With a rear hub or crank motor the bike feels completely normal when riding.

matthewcl375

Just Joined
Dec 21, 2018
Where about would sell geared hub motor kits then?

I don't really have huge hills around where I live and I don't really mind a bit of effort every now and then to get up one so I don't need some extreme off road hill climbing machine. I will just be on cycle paths/roads/pavements

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
All of the Woosh kits are geared hubs, as are the Yose kits, and almost any other kit rated at under 350w sold in the UK.

https://www.yosepower.com/en/product/Hub-Motor-36V350W-Black-Hub-Motor-with-Cassettle-for-Rear-Wheel-26"-&-HL1-36V13Ah-Battery-Conversion-Kit-DIY-E-bike-110.html

Ther are some 500w rated geared hubs available, but you will have to look at buying from China and putting a kit together yourself, which can be tricky for a first time builder. This is a popular 500w geared hub motor.

https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-kit/768-q128c-135mm-500w-rear-driving-ebike-hub-motor-ebike-kit.html#/213-rpm-201/42-voltage-36v

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
Hi everyone, ive been semi interested in electric bikes for a while now, i hired one a few days ago (a byocycles 250w 36v folding commuter bike) for a couple hours for a coastal ride and it was great fun.

For me the attraction is the exhileration and exercise of cycling combined with the confidence that a bad hill or exhaustion isnt going to ruin your rides. I have a motorbike too so im not interested in building a super fast ebike.

Im looking for recommendations for a rear wheel kit, i am fairly big as in tall and broad, so i feel like maybe 48v would be better than 36v, id get either a 250w or 500w kit, i dont really mind as long as it can do 15-20mph at the highest pedal assist setting.

I also had some trouble with hills on the ebike i hired, i had to do a lot of work to get up some of them and the motor sounded like it was straining which is why i feel i might be best with a 48v or 500w motor?

In terms of battery anything between 12 and 17 ah would be great, just decent range really.

I would be fitting it to a mountain bike and my price range is about £500-600 at the max, i am happy to buy on 0% finance and i have a local bike shop that can help with fitting it

Thanks for your help
For a tall person, here’s the perfect donor bike

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/273613841555

The frame will take a hailong cased battery, and the rear dropouts will suit a q128h hub motor

I know cause I’ve got a similar setup

Thecopterdoctor

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 30, 2018
Hi and a happy New year to everyone here, I am new to this forum and have only recently come back to cycling after a mere 20 years.

I very recently got the Pedelec bug after meeting up with an old work college that in his retirement had converted his bike with a Cyclotricty basic 250w 36v Geared front hub kit, and as a motorcyclist also added another manufacturers twist grip throttle and a generic 10ah bottle battery to complete his build.

So after failing to refuse a ride out on his trusty steed I threw a leg over his standard Gents non suspension bike with 3 speed rear hub and tentatively went for a road test, and as you can imagine I was taken, Hook, Line, and sinker!!. in the famous words of Gary Barlow "Absolutely Fantastic".

So on the good advice and recommendation of my dear friend and a couple of informative emails from Cylotricity and then an online order was placed for the Basic 250w 700c 36v front hub kit (less battery) and happy to report it all arrived promptly the following day.
Thanks Guys!! Great Service. A++++

After the installation onto my newly purchased 1996 Trek 720 Hybrid all was ready for the final piece of the puzzle! But after being unable to purchase the 10ah bottle battery from Cyclotricty ( out of stock!) I hatched a plan to design my own 3d printed ("Hot Shoe") bottle mounted Bosch 36v 4ah powertool/Mower battery pack with the future intention of if satisfactory purchasing one or two more to extend my range as these are so small and light enough to be carried in a saddle bag. Perfect!!

Well I am very happy to report all is well and since fitting the kit I have been out cycling every single day. :) All I will say is that if anyone one is even in the slightest bit interested in building a kit DO IT!!! But as with all things Do Your Research first! and join this group as there is a wealth of information here and as is with most things it can be a potential mine field.

Hoping this is of some help!
All the very best, JJB

Reactions: Blunderbuss