Recommendations for 6ft 5 rider - woosh or Wisper or something else?

Clooner

Just Joined
Mar 1, 2021
Hi

im looking to buy my first e bike but I’m a little lost.

I’m 6 ft 5 and 100 kg and looking to use the bike for city commuting and then gentle off road trails on the weekend. My max budget is £2500, but I’d prefer to spend a fair bit less than that. I like the idea of a hub drive due to price and cheaper replacement/maintenance and so Woosh Gran Camino or Wisper Wayfarer look like good options, but I’m 6 ft 5 and worried the frame size just won’t be big enough for me

Will they do the job or does anyone have any recommendations for a tall rider?

many thanks!

Mark

k2397

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 13, 2020
Lagos, Portugal
Well, I am 6' 3" and weigh just over 100kg. I bought a Wisper Wayfarer hub drive in December and am very happy with it. It is plenty big enough, and has enough power to get me up the fairly steep hills near where I live without too much exertion on my part.

I chose the smaller of the two battery options due to cost, and it seems to give me around 50km of range in mixed use.

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
I'm 6'4", more than 100Kg, and ride an Orbea Gain with XL frame. It's remarkably generous in size (the 2020 model - I'm not sure about the 2021 sizes), but it's maybe not quite what you're after, since it has drop handlebars? Price is about right though, but 'cheaper replacement/maintenance ' isn't a feature - it's a closed system (ebikemotion). Happy to add more detail, and measure it if you need to know more.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
I'm 6'4", more than 100Kg, and ride an Orbea Gain with XL frame. It's remarkably generous in size (the 2020 model - I'm not sure about the 2021 sizes), but it's maybe not quite what you're after, since it has drop handlebars? Price is about right though, but 'cheaper replacement/maintenance ' isn't a feature - it's a closed system (ebikemotion). Happy to add more detail, and measure it if you need to know more.
Orbea Gains are also available with flat bars. Their assist and range is considerably less than many other bikes, but if it’s enough for what you need then they are a nice light weight option.

Reactions: richtea99

Johnocyprus

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 5, 2011
Would definitely recommend a hub drive bike, I bought a Second hand Raleigh Forge when I had a knee injury and loved it ( so much so when the first was stolen I bought another ) I loved the simplicity of it and incidentally am very impressed by the quality of the components. I can’t believe what some spend on ebikes , I think the law of diminishing returns kicks in at about £1,200. Whoosh certainly seem to be well regarded on this forum.

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Lisburn Co Antrim Northern Ireland UK
Whoosh certainly seem to be well regarded on this forum.
They certainly are but a shame they have no selection of agents.
We have a Raleigh agent a few miles away and that is one of the reasons we bought a new Centros step through for my wife.
A strong capable bike which should do her well especially with a support dealer close by.
Said goodbye to the excellent Volt Pulse which was bought by the first lady who called to view it, within 24 hours of putting the word out.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One reason why they can keep prices very affordable is no outlay on extra stores or staff, unfortunately it often means you can't try before you buy. Though they do have a small network of repair/service agents voluntarily retained on a pay per repair basis.