Help! Recommendations for Very Heavy Rider?

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Do you think it's false economy to go for this bike instead of the £2K+ offerings?
I think it definitely is for us heavier guys though if you're a light weight you can often get away with cheaper components. I found out many years back when I couldn't afford good stuff that cheap can end up expensive when you start repairing and replacing.
There's also the inconvenience involved when things need fixing just at the wrong time and it's nice to own and to use a good quality item rather than something that's only okay.
Easy for me to spend your hard earned cash:)
Good luck what ever you decide.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Do you think it's false economy to go for this bike instead of the £2K+ offerings?
It's nothing to do with economy. It's elecetrical system is flawed. There are many similarly priced bikes that don't have its bad torque sensor and motor connector.

FatBob

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2020
Greater Manchester
It's nothing to do with economy. It's elecetrical system is flawed. There are many similarly priced bikes that don't have its bad torque sensor and motor connector.
Can you suggest some good quality ones (for similar price ~£1100) that can cope with my weight from vendors who provide good aftercare? Thank you.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Wisper though £1100 may not be enough.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i think the cube or the haibike would be the best option as you will need a xl frame size to fit you as you dont want a bike that's to small.

RonnieX

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 9, 2020
I’m 6’1” and nigh on 20st. Ive got a Decathlon Rockrider E-ST900. Size ‘L’. I could even get away with an ‘M’. Don't get an XL unless you’re over 6’4” or have seen the bike in the flesh!

FatBob

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2020
Greater Manchester
I’m 6’1” and nigh on 20st. Ive got a Decathlon Rockrider E-ST900. Size ‘L’. I could even get away with an ‘M’. Don't get an XL unless you’re over 6’4” or have seen the bike in the flesh!
My old cheapo MTB is a 20" frame on 26" wheels and is big enough.

Reactions: RonnieX

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My old cheapo MTB is a 20" frame on 26" wheels and is big enough.
Covert it with a kit for about £600.
Will the bike upgrade to hydraulics ?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

thats about as cheap its going to get from new and only 1 size in stock.

FatBob

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2020
Greater Manchester
Covert it with a kit for about £600.
Will the bike upgrade to hydraulics ?
I looked into this a while ago but I'm honest enough to admit that I'm no engineer/mechanic and beyond my knowledge and skills – viz. I can't even begin to answer your question.

Abby

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 17, 2020
I'm in the same boat 6' though lost 10kg so down to 125kg
There not so strict on the 250w regulation over here (Australia) though the 25km is rather strictly applied by bike suppliers
I had NCM on my short list until reading regular spoke breakage issue more often with heavy riders , there's also a rain ingress issue with there batteries regular reported
So I'm considering a fat tire bike maybe is a 20"x4 cargo some rather up 150kg
Though I suspect i may look like a rather decrepit hipsters on one lol

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I am sadly over 110kg at the moment and my two Chinese derived Oxygen rear hub road bikes of circa 2011 vintage are still going strong, although I had to make myself familiar with changing the odd spoke and tensioning spokes evenly in the rear wheels, never had any trouble with the front, but I have only had to do that occasionally and always got the wheel stable again no longer breaking spokes, and I carry overloaded panniers with shopping in combination with my weight.

I am no wheel building expert. I simple replace a broken spoke and tension the spokes so they are all roughly the same.

I also have a hard tail Haibike mountain bike of circa 2015 vintage that I have ridden hard off road also with loaded panniers for just under 13,000 miles and have had to occasionally change the back wheel, which is easy on a crank drive.

So the only thing that your weight might effect is the back wheel, but not so much that you cannot cheaply maintain and keep on top of it.

Or with a crank drive simply change it. I bought a spar cheap back wheel with shimano hub of ebay for £57 quite recently and was amazed how good it was.

However if you were feeling flush you could push the boat out and pay around £650 for a hand build bespoke rear wheel.

Jessica 20th birthday + Emate Chain ring + rotor 04 02 21 023.JPG

Today's shopping trip!

Last edited:

FatBob

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2020
Greater Manchester
Thanks to everyone's answers and input.

Given that I've probably put on yet another stone during lockdown, it seems I would be riding whatever I decided to buy at the very top end of its unofficial weight limit and I really don't want to be fearing popping spokes etc on something I've forked out £2K+ for each and every time I step on the bike.

In the absence of an affordable machine that can very comfortably and reliably take my weight + load (and doesn't require a licence) I think I have very little option but to face the uncomfortable truth and try to lose the weight first by other means. :(

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

try that with a hub motor ;)

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
This bike claims to be suitable; at least in 'Load capacity: 150kg/330lbs'

Very cheap, pretty basic, plenty of cons: https://www.bikeride.com/ancheer-electric-mountain-bike/

I doubt the customer service would be up to much.

There's one with lower capacity battery (not suitable) but more reviews on Amazon.

FatBob

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2020
Greater Manchester
This bike claims to be suitable; at least in 'Load capacity: 150kg/330lbs'

Very cheap, pretty basic, plenty of cons: https://www.bikeride.com/ancheer-electric-mountain-bike/

I doubt the customer service would be up to much.

There's one with lower capacity battery (not suitable) but more reviews on Amazon.
Cheers sjpt. While it might meet the affordability test, I think the reviews point to it falling short on the reliability test. :)