Recommended battery storage/charging box?

mr_ed

Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2022
anyone recommend a fire resistant box to keep an ebike battery in? Are there any that provide provision for charging it whilst in the box?

otherwise I’m thinking of buying an army surplus ammo box, although not sure if drilling a 5mm hole to pass a charging lead into it would be a bad idea!

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
anyone recommend a fire resistant box to keep an ebike battery in? Are there any that provide provision for charging it whilst in the box?

otherwise I’m thinking of buying an army surplus ammo box, although not sure if drilling a 5mm hole to pass a charging lead into it would be a bad idea!
Asumming I understood you correctly, you want to place a battery in a mainly sealed box.
Please don't do it as the gassing and increase in pressure, might make a nice bomb.....
Its better to allow the battery to gas, and to keep it cool, like immersing it in water if possibly. After some hours the chemical reaction should cool down and stop.
For a time in Germany, when electric cars caught fire and burnt for 12 hours or so after an accident (often on the Autobahn), they brought a large tank to the scene of the accident, filled it 75% full of water, and dumped the burning electric wrecks in it to cool down for a few hours.
You cannot stop the reaction quickly, you can only cool it and prevent the flames igniting something else, and wait for it to eventually stop.
Fun things Li-ion batteries!
regards
Andy

• Informative
Reactions: Fordulike

mr_ed

Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2022
have watched a few YouTube vids since posting this and seems an ammo box without the seals is a better idea.

Would nice to see some sort of fire service accredited/approved products!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015