Recommended chain oil/lubricant?

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
..Battling through the wind and rain tonight on my new bike, I thought I need to make sure I keep things well lubricated ..Advice and recommendations most welcome?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I would imagine that any branded wet lube sold at any cycle store would be fine for your use. In my opinion, Finish Line nudges forward on durability. Just a random link for the product. http://www.singletrackbikes.co.uk/m8b36s374p1239/Finish_Line_Cross_Country_Wet_chain_lube_2_oz_60_ml/RS_GB?gclid=CI_tleWEnsECFfHKtAodSTcAWw

Riding off road more than on road, I use either Bike Hut or Finish Line 'wet lube' when things are wet or muddy, and use Muck Off 'dry lube' when things are dusty and dry. I can't say that I've noticed ceramic wet lubes working any better than normal wet lubes.

After getting caught out twice with the chain looking like this after roughly just 20 miles, I now also carry a small bottle with me as well.

Sandy clay.

Chalky clay.

At least my home made crud catcher/mudguard helped protect the front mech, although like everyone else that day, I wasn't able to use it by the end of the ride.

More of an enemy to me is when things around here turn dry, and the terrain turns to a very sandy powder. I hate that more than wet, and it certainly does more harm.

I also use Fenwicks Foam chain cleaner, along with a chain bath. It always shocks me just how much crud and grit comes off/out after using a chain bath. I also appear to only get a couple of hundred miles from a chain when riding off road. For some reason, I've also found SRAM chains to be better than Shimano. Just for efficiency,I'm also probably going to have two chains on the go when I get the next bike. A cousin of mine has a decent ultrasonic cleaner at work, so he can have the chain cleaning duties. :D

Roll on winter. :)

Last edited: