Recovering a stolen Bike

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Just looking through a diagnostic report from my dealer which is generated whenever the bike is serviced or updated.
All of the bikes electronic parts are detailed with part numbers and other info and it occurs to me that if it were possible to mark all these parts as stolen through the supplying dealer so that any bike containing these parts that was plugged in for an update would be flagged up as stolen.
I dont know if this is even possible as the diagnostic info may only be local and not networked, but as more and more ebikes are nicked its certainly something to think on, and as for an inocent buyer of a stolen bike, or parts of, They dont get any sympathy from me..

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
An innocent buyer who had taken due diligence, well some sympathy. Buying from a known scrote well then that's handling stolen goods.
But dealers maintaining a register of stolen parts, that would be good practice as in no one steals these as they get nicked.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Having seen the printout comprehensively detailing all the bikes internals I was hoping one of the dealers would offer some info here.. if the diagnostic information is only stored locally then nothing can be done.. but if there is a networked database then perhaps it can..
Am I riding up the wrong forest trail ...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

DAJ

Pedelecer
May 8, 2015
Who polices this though, you walk into a bike shop with original receipt of purchase and report it stolen - despite the fact you just sold it for cash to someone? It has to be recorded via the Police, technology will eventually be able to link bike shops to Central Police databases but don't hold your breath. Like HS2 and the Third runway many of us here will never even see it.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing