Recycling 9 year old 36v batteries

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
Any suggestions as to the disposal of two 10Ah carrier type batteries which are down from around 32miles per charge to only 17! Hardly enough for town and back.
Now replaced with one 16Ah Heilong. Probably the local council recycling yard. I did enquire how much to rebuild but silly money compared to the new Hailong which has Panasonic batteries,
is a half kilo lighter and 60% more energy. I might be tempted to take one old one apart once fully discharged to see how many of the LiPO4 batteries are duff.

Attachments

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
I would hang onto it as an extra 17miles when needed could be a godsend. and your bound to have a situation in which it would be useful as soon as you get rid.

Otherwise if not too nervous to prep properly and open up the case to test the cells (dont fully discharge or discharge below 32v or 3.2v per cell if it can be avoided) go for it.

If more local to me i would make you an offer as ive been scouring ebay for a suitable donor for cells that i can use for supplementary lighting without impact on my drive battery.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Any suggestions as to the disposal of two 10Ah carrier type batteries which are down from around 32miles per charge to only 17! Hardly enough for town and back.
Now replaced with one 16Ah Heilong. Probably the local council recycling yard. I did enquire how much to rebuild but silly money compared to the new Hailong which has Panasonic batteries,
is a half kilo lighter and 60% more energy. I might be tempted to take one old one apart once fully discharged to see how many of the LiPO4 batteries are duff.
The local tip will sort them out for you.