Reluctant Cyclist

Reluctant-Cyclist

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 23, 2015
Good morning/ evening/ or night (Depending when you read this) or just plain "Hello"
I think it's about time I bit the Bullet (or Battery) and threw my leg over an electric cycle. Up to now I have been using a standard Bike, but certain health issues dictate that if I want to continue to reluctantly "enjoying" the health benefits of cycling, I'm going to need occasional help up some hills!
To put you in the picture,
I'm a 51 year old male,
I'm 6'2" tall,
I have two damaged lower spine discs and associated problems there-of,
I have had one heart attack (due to a change in medication).
I haven't used the cycle much this year due to the ongoing pain that it causes. This is, I believe, due to the strain it induces in the lower spine, and I think that some assistance might help.
I have been reading through the back postings on this forum and there is a huge amount of information, too-much, almost! so I throw the question into the ring (As many have done so before, it seems) "What bike would you suggest I look at (keeping in mind the factors mentioned above) and the fact that I might want to purchase said machine from a company that might do Finance. I had looked at the Giant twist lite 2, but this seems to be now out of stock. I also read about a Whoosh big bear (?), but I didn't see finance payments offered, also, there wasn't a local supplier (near Chertsey in surrey)
So Guys/ Girls whatcha think?

Thanking you in advance,

Graham

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Welcome to the forum. Probably best to try a few bikes. There are quite a few dealers near you. Try posting for recommendations on the which electric bike should I buy forum, and the dealers here will pitch to you I expect. I don’t think they do that on the introduce yourself forum.

I helps to have a budget, and some idea of the kind of use you want from it and how hilly it is where you cycle.

Reactions: Emo Rider

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Good morning/ evening/ or night (Depending when you read this) or just plain "Hello"
I think it's about time I bit the Bullet (or Battery) and threw my leg over an electric cycle. Up to now I have been using a standard Bike, but certain health issues dictate that if I want to continue to reluctantly "enjoying" the health benefits of cycling, I'm going to need occasional help up some hills!
To put you in the picture,
I'm a 51 year old male,
I'm 6'2" tall,
I have two damaged lower spine discs and associated problems there-of,
I have had one heart attack (due to a change in medication).
I haven't used the cycle much this year due to the ongoing pain that it causes. This is, I believe, due to the strain it induces in the lower spine, and I think that some assistance might help.
I have been reading through the back postings on this forum and there is a huge amount of information, too-much, almost! so I throw the question into the ring (As many have done so before, it seems) "What bike would you suggest I look at (keeping in mind the factors mentioned above) and the fact that I might want to purchase said machine from a company that might do Finance. I had looked at the Giant twist lite 2, but this seems to be now out of stock. I also read about a Whoosh big bear (?), but I didn't see finance payments offered, also, there wasn't a local supplier (near Chertsey in surrey)
So Guys/ Girls whatcha think?

Thanking you in advance,

Graham
Welcome to the show :) As John said, visiting a dealer armed with the information he suggested is an excellent way to start a very positive journey into ebiking. A reputable shop will get you on an affordable bike that will meet your needs. Good luck and safe journey.

Last edited:

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
As a fellow sufferer ( 2 bulging discs ) I found by changing my riding position made the world of difference.
At the start of this year I would sometimes start to suffer only half an hour into a ride. Now I've junked my MTB bars in favor of highrise trekking bars, I'm sitting bolt upright and ride for hours without discomfort.
I have these on my Bosch powered Cube and something similar on my unpowered bike
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nc-17-trekking-handlebar/rp-prod105843