Remove speed limiter Gtech ebike sport

Bjn201

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 26, 2019
Hi there

I just bought a Gtech ebike sport.

I was wondering if anyone had successfully located/removed the speed limiter? Where is is located/how can i do this?

P.s. this is for the purposes of off public road use.

Thanks!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
There is no speed limiter on it. The limit is set in the software. There is a hack that you can do, which involves cutting into your wires, but I doubt that you'd want to do it on your new bike especially as it hasn't been fully tested.

Bjn201

Oct 26, 2019
There is no speed limiter on it. The limit is set in the software. There is a hack that you can do, which involves cutting into your wires, but I doubt that you'd want to do it on your new bike especially as it hasn't been fully tested.
By hack do you mean installing once of those off rhe shelf speed boxes you can buy?
I opened up the battery, the were three wires all attached to a motherboard. No visible external wires. There is also a mid motor. Where would this hack box go?
On the gtech do you know where the sensor is, perhaps can cheat that way?

Thanks

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
No, I mean strip off the outer insulation to expose the pedal sensor wires, cut them and splice in a switch before soldering them back together.

Bjn201

Oct 26, 2019
Thanks - I am happy to do the cutting, splicing etc - do you know if there are any videos you would recommend as a guide?

Where would the pedal sensor be located? Presumably the sensor needs to be facing the wheel to measure velocity.

Much appreciated

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
About 3 weeks ago, a member posted that he ripped the wires out of his torque sensor during some mishap. When looking at it afterwards, he discovered that if he joined two of the wires, the motor went full-speed, like a press-button throttle. He then tested it on the road and made a video of himself doing 20 mph without pedalling. He didn't say which two wires. If you can find that thread or posts, you can message him to ask which wires.

Can anybody provide a link to those posts? I can't find them. They've changed something in Google, so it doesn't find anything now. It used to be very good.

I don't have a Gtech, so I can't test it, but my guess is that he connected the torque sensor signal wire to its supply wire, which gave the equivalent of the maximum torque sensor signal or even higher. It should be possible to put a push-button switch between those wires to give you a push-button maximum-only throttle that will override the normal torque sensor operation - like a boost button. In the interest of science, we need a brave person with a Gtech to prove whether it works. I'm 95% certain that it will.

stevelo333

Dec 16, 2019
I don't have a Gtech, so I can't test it...., we need a brave person with a Gtech to prove whether it works. I'm 95% certain that it will.
I'm prepared to be that brave Gtech (esport) owner - could you be a little more precise about which wires to splice? There are 3 wires running from the sensor to the controller - red, black and green - I've cut them (and added bullet connectors so they can all easily be reconnected) and tried every possible combination, I think... But could easily be wrong.

I think the Gtech bikes are a great concept - very simple and low maintenance - but they didn't get it quite right (mainly the internal resistance in the motor - I have a 250w motor that I've put on a Specialized mtb - MUCH less resistance!).

Matais

Just Joined
Nov 14, 2021
I've owned my Gtech for a while now and I'm going to try this soon.
Does anyone know which wires to splice together so I can add a boost button

stargazer30

Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2020
I’ve owned 2 gtech sports and even retro fitted the electrics to a regular bike. Even if you did bypass the speed sensor the controller and battery are woefully underpowered, you might hit 20 on the flat with no wind but the battery would be dead in 5 miles. The gtech is perfect as designed, as a light, cheap, low powered ebike.