Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Yes. Every time, without fail.

Gaz

D

Deleted member 4366

Never, though it's rarely left for more than 30 mins.

rich_r

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2017
North Yorkshire
I tend not to, but then the only time I leave the bike unattended is when I've nipped to the shops on it. So it'd be annoying that I've had a £180 battery stolen, but still easy enough to cycle home without the motor.

If I was leaving it all day at the railway station, then I probably would take the battery with me. I just haven't done that (yet - next summer maybe).

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
If removing the battery, what about the battery terminals being exposed to rain getting in etc?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
20/30 mins is the most I leave my bike for whilst running errands, left in an open visible area.
If removing the battery, exposed connections can easily be covered with cling film or a plastic bag secured with velcro or string. Just requires forward thinking no rocket science involved.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Its a shame ebikes don't come with a plastic water tight cover for when the battery is removed.

• Agree
Reactions: MikelBikel

bigbear

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 26, 2017
Scotland
I have a carrera crossfire and it has a locking Battery and also a cover so the lock does'nt show, so never an issue when its parked up more chance of the back wheel being knicked than the battery

Cankster

Just Joined
Oct 15, 2017
Bristol
never when I'm at work as it is a secure cycle shed with cameras and a security guard on site monitoring 24/7. Anywhere else always remove unless its in my line of site.

Chris.L

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2017
Lincolnshire

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Its a shame ebikes don't come with a plastic water tight cover for when the battery is removed.
Sometimes i just pop a bag for life over the seat and battery, hook handle over a pedal, short bungee other side. Got a cheap cover too, but very fiddly & can blow off if not well bungee'd down.
Yeah pity there isn't a self furling seat & batt cover in a saddle bag & move extra rear light(s) to its clip ?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I leave the battery in place, it is locked in as its a Bosch , but always remove the intuvia display controller and put it in my pocket. Its now second nature.. and a lot lighter than the battery.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Removing battery, especially on Bosch bikes means bike is almost worthless if stolen. At £700 for replacement no thief is going buy one to sell bike.
In case FS eMTB bike could be stripped for components and sold separately eg shocks, brake, derailluer.

If bike is stolen then you will have spare for you new replacement ebike, assuming insurance company doesn't won't battery.

I do think ebike manufacturers could do a better job of making bikes more secure. Smartmotion Pacer has security code to activate it, if bike is stolen theif will need to take bike to dealer to get new code.
All the factory middrives could do something similar with bike manufacturer coming up with their own interface eg pin or bluetooth app remote activation.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Removing battery, especially on Bosch bikes means bike is almost worthless if stolen. At £700 for replacement no thief is going buy one to sell bike.
In case FS eMTB bike could be stripped for components and sold separately eg shocks, brake, derailluer.

If bike is stolen then you will have spare for you new replacement ebike, assuming insurance company doesn't won't battery.

I do think ebike manufacturers could do a better job of making bikes more secure. Smartmotion Pacer has security code to activate it, if bike is stolen theif will need to take bike to dealer to get new code.
All the factory middrives could do something similar with bike manufacturer coming up with their own interface eg pin or bluetooth app remote activation.
And...
A register of serial numbers of missing bikes so if one comes in for a service/update it would get flagged.

• Agree
Reactions: bigbear