Removing stubborn plug from a handlebar (Cube Touring Hybrid Pro)

M. Tartiflette

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2019
Anyone got any tips? I'm trying to install a mirror on one end of the handlebar on my bike. I have attempted to lever off the plug but it seems very stubborn. It has no screw, so I assume this is how to do it. However, I thought I should perhaps check before I used more force and perhaps did some damage. The plug and the grip are separate.

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
Anyone got any tips? I'm trying to install a mirror on one end of the handlebar on my bike. I have attempted to lever off the plug but it seems very stubborn. It has no screw, so I assume this is how to do it. However, I thought I should perhaps check before I used more force and perhaps did some damage. The plug and the grip are separate.
Will you need to reinstall said plug ? Heat it with a heat gun ,or drill/ cut off .

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
Here's a link to the various types so you know what you are dealing with.
https://www.google.com/search?q=bicycle+handle+bar+grips++and+plugs&client=firefox-b&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=89y4MorrNNn03M%3A%2CF-sWGicApgeB9M%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kQwZF3nA6eXAOmoWc18sXy67GxvdQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjwu4GE6J_hAhXoWhUIHcj1BNUQ9QEwAHoECAkQBA#imgrc=89y4MorrNNn03M:

You could trying the grips to force the plugs off, or even push the grips further up the handle bars to create more of a gap, for a better purchase on the plugs. Finally if you a set of wider pliers , use these to twist off the plugs.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
A good photo may help further.
regards
Andy