Repair my motor

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Hello,

I have for some reason striped the phase wires on my leaf bike creating short:

I'd like to cover the wires with some heatshrink or something to protect against them touching each other.

For that I'd like to open the motor cover, I removed bolt from 1 side and the cover can spin on itself... but I'm not sure if I can remove that from the left side?

Shall I force it?

Thanks

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Thanks Kuorider. It is very clear.

Another member suggested to first try to fix the wires without opening the cover first. I'll try it first I think.

But just in case here is the size of my motor:

http://www.leafbike.com/products/e-bike-hub-motor/gearless-20-24-26-700c-28-inch/newest-48v-1000w-rear-spoke-hub-motor-electric-bike-motor-871.html

Shall I get this 250mm gear puller if I need to open it?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/450521-2-or-3-Arms-Press-Pulley-Gear-Wheel-Hand-Puller-100mm-to-350mm-Variation-/281301477030?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item417edfe6a6

C

Cyclezee

Hi cwah,

Looks like the end of your axle has scraped along the ground causing damage to the wires.

Our eZee bikes and kits have cable end protectors to prevent this.
Torq_angle_blue.jpg

Reactions: cwah

Kuorider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2014
Try the repair first. The tool you list should do the job but check that your axle end will locate the point of the puller properly otherwise it may slip off. (look for a small cone shaped pip or similar)
You may well be able to repair this as suggested, push the coil spring up the cable out of the way, pull any slack out of the axle,(gently as there may be no slack), separate out the wires clean & wrap the damaged wire with 'self amalgamating tape'. This stuff forms into a flexible mass when left for a while, no heat is required. Fit a protector as Cyclezee recommends. If possible try to find the cause of the damage and prevent a repeat.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Self-Amalgamating-Tape-rubber-sealing-Repair-Satalite-10m-Roll-car-Fusing

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Great!! thank you! I purchased the tape and waiting for arrival now :)

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I tried to use amalgamating tape on the wires but I'm still having issues:

But I still had issue with the "03 - error" of my controller which means wiring issue.

So I tried to remove the cover of my motor. I tried to remove all bolt from both covers:

I've noticed the cover does spin on itself but I can't remove it. I can't understand why. The cover is aluminium (magnet doesn't fit on it) so it wouldn't be the magnet of the motor that are restraining the cover.

I tried to pull up from the axle on the drive side, it felt it was moving a bit but no good result.

I now realised that the motor is a bit "stuck" when I tried to spin it :(

I don't understand what I did wrong. What should I do now???

Sacko

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2011
Heat shrink would leave a neater finish.

D

Deleted member 4366

You've probably chipped a magnet. Did you try and lever the motor apart?

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
i tried but failed. It was moving a little bit but no more... so I gave up

Sacko you are right, I should have removed all connector and use heat shrink instead...

What's the best I should do now?

D

Deleted member 4366

You have to open it. This shows you how:

One of the things he mentions is marking the side-plate so that you know which position it goes back. That implies that the bearing might be a little off-centre. Try rotating the side-plate through 180 deg and screw it back together.

Last edited by a moderator:

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
D

Deleted member 4366

I don't think you need to remove the freewheel. You might be able to hire the puller from a tool hire shop, but it won't be much cheaper than buying one.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I ordered a new puller. Waiting for it to arrive

D

Deleted member 4366

You can put the puller legs behind the sprocket on the freewheel if you can't get them under the side-plate. That might just pull off the side-plate. Did you try turning the side-plate through 180 deg.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
No, I have to try it. But I've just got my battery stolen today and can't experiment. Will have to sort that too.

EddieH

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2015
Does anyone know how to take the axle out of a fun8 motor and where to get a new one? I snapped the axle on a motor and had to get a complete new motor, was wondering if it was possible to repair it.

D

Deleted member 4366

The axle isn't a replaceable part on their hub-motors, if that's what you have.