Replace 2 wire motor cutout switch with three wire Minshine in-cable device

jokskot

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2018
I would like to replace the current two wire (presumably normally open) brake activated switches on my ebike with a Minshine (model MS-BK-1R) in-cable sensor as I'm changing the brake levers to integrated brake and gear shifters.
So far as I can tell, my control box has input for a two wire sensor only.

Can anyone tell me how to do this, please?
I understand that the Minshine senses movement of the inner cable, but how does it achieve this?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I understand that the Minshine senses movement of the inner cable, but how does it achieve this?
Inside the sensor box there is a magnet which "grabs" the steel brake wire and moves with it past a hall sensor.

jokskot

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2018
Thank to you both for your replies. Is there any way I can use this (Minshine) kind of sensor if the only (obvious) connection is a two wire "make" via the existing in-lever switch?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it's just not worth the hassle.
I used to keep Y1T4 type cables for this because Bafang sensored brake levers are with Hall (3-pin yellow plug) but since universal 2-pin red plug brake sensors are available, I don't keep them any more.
To use the inline HWBS, you have to run the wires directly to the controller - it's a mess unless you already have internal cable routing.

jokskot

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2018
Thanks again for your response Woosh.
I don't have internal wiring, but don't see why it would be any messier to run a wire from the in-cable sensor to the control unit than is currently the case where wires are run from the brake lever switches to the controller...and wouldn't the device that you included in you first reply have to be connected back to the controller?
Could/can a connection or input be made using the Hall effect in-cable sensor where the controller does not have any obvious connection for such a signal?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Post some pictures of your handlebars and controllers, other members will help you.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
and wouldn't the device that you included in you first reply have to be connected back to the controller?
yes, it does.

jokskot

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2018
Thanks to all repondents.
Reading round this, it seems I can achieve what I want with a bit of electronics - a transistor and maybe a relay. Selected parts on order and I'll report back reults once fitted.