Replace suspension forks with rigid

Johnecybrid

Pedelecer
Feb 14, 2017
South west
Hello everyone.
I have owned my Cube reaction for three years now, and am still loving it.
I have covered 11,000km on it now and have had no issues to date.
It’s fitted with Rock Shock forks and I have done absolutely no maintenance on them, which although they are still working as they did when new, I know this isn’t a good thing.
I think getting them serviced at my local shop is not going to be cheap, so was wondering if it would make sense to fit rigid forks to my bike, which I would prefer anyway.
Are there any forks available that would be a straight swap?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
for a full service it will be around £!00 most of that is labour cost.

if you are going to bin the fork anyway why not try service it your self as it is not hard if you get the right tools.

imo it just needs a lower leg service new seals and new oil if you can find the right seals for the model you have.

Reactions: PC2017

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Hi,
I wouldn't bother servicing your stock forks especially if they are Working as they should. Being heavy low end coil sprung forks a like for like replacement could be brought for £100 to £150 and with a little shopping around under well under £100.
There’s a few things to consider when changing forks.
soon after buying my current Cube I went with air sprung forks (with a lot of shopping around I found a new but last years model set reduced from £400 down to £200) (tapered steer tube to match my frame)
like me your frame headset will take a tapered steer tube (larger bearing at the bottom and smaller at the top) but the forks I took out had a straight steer tube With headset bearings to match ! So I then had to identify and buy the correct headset bearing.
I put this down to Cube putting cheap forks in a frame capable of taking high end components.
on my previous Cube after a few years I found I was spending more time on the road and less in the dirt so replaced the stock coil sprung forks with some Suspension corrected Carbon Fibre Ridged forks from Planet X.
(Suspension corrected means they are the same length as sprung forks so you retain the ride height and steering geometry)
eXotic also sell carbon fibre ridged forks (I have these on my analog bike) after a quick look just now I couldn’t find any in stock so this link is just for reference https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/eXotic-Lightweight-XC-MTB-Carbon-Rigid-Fork-Disc-V-42-5-44-5-46-5-26-in-29er/152809620557

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
I have an unused steel fork disk compatible (1 and one eighth straight steerer tube) if you want it.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Just remembered one of my old posts

“not a problem I can't overcome but what a day !
Earlier this week I'd decided to upgrade the forks on my cube acid one, i thought I'd gone about it the right way by checking the manufacturers spec.

OEM headset = FSA Orbit 1.5B ZS-R, Top Zero-Stack 1 1/8" (OD 44mm), Bottom Zero-Stack 1 1/2" (OD 56mm)
OEM fork= SR Suntour XCM ATB Coil, 100mm, Lockout

I ordered these thinking they should be a direct replacement for the original fork
Rockshox 30 Gold RL Solo Air Forks - 9mm QR 2018 tapered steerer, 100mm travel.

In my eagerness and before attempting to fit the forks, I replaced the decals with a colour that matched my bike (green)

bad move as it happens, the axle to crown length on the new fork is 20mm shorter than the old fork and I then noticed there's no hole for mudguard fitting, hey ho now I've done the sticker thing I'm stuck with these forks so I'll get around it somehow.

Anywho, yesterday pm I put the bike in a stand, disconnected everything and dropped the forks !
surprise surprise, I find that cube in there budget end bike (£1700) have fitted straight steerer forks in a tapered head, not only that but they've used open bearings in a cage (cheep-skates) so bang goes my plan to do a quick swap.
I've ordered a new headset ( hopefully the right one ) and put the fork swap on hold for a week or two.“

Johnecybrid

Pedelecer
Feb 14, 2017
South west
Thanks for the reply’s guys, much appreciated.
Your post Gringo was very interesting.
I think my forks are air/coil as I remember the guy in the shop pumping them up when I collected the bike, you will note I am not at all techie.
I have removed the stem and spaces a few times but not dropped the fork so am not sure if they have a tapered steerer or not, I will have a look next week.
The more I think about it the more I am leaning towards getting some rigid forks, in fact had they been an option on my Cube I would have had them from the start as all my riding is on the road and cycle tracks etc. I don’t regret getting the Cube as in many ways it is just about perfect for the type of riding, I do, though it would be nice if it was a bit lighter, and guess it would be with rigid forks.
I do like the look of the Planet X ones you mention, though they are out of stock at the moment, mine are 27.5. I do note they seem to have a thru axle, mine are q/r, I don’t know if that would be an issue?
As you can see, I have a lot of homework to do so will have my eyes on replies here and info from wherever I can find it.

Cheers all.

BTW, just seen these, any thoughts please.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
They look ok but cheek your axle to crown height (Best measured taking into account 20/25% sag to get the correct ride height).
although it says it’s for 27.5” wheels, if they are not suspension corrected you’ll have a lower front end and very twitchy steering.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Just had a another look at the forks in your link and I don’t think they are suspension corrected. The 29er version may suit your bike @ 475mm axle to crown ;)

Johnecybrid

Pedelecer
Feb 14, 2017
South west
Thanks Gringo, you are far more knowledgable about this stuff than I for sure.
Looking at the measurement picture, where there’s measures 465mm, my current RockShock’s measures 485mm as near as I can see. Does this mean the rigid forks will be too short, I certainly can do without twitchy handling.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
my current RockShock’s measures 485mm as near as I can see
Is that with you sat on the bike ? If it is then the 29ers could work as they are 495mm and 10mm will hardly be noticed (20mm shorter not so good)
from fully extended to me sitting on the bike, my forks sag by about 25mm and occasionally on a long ride If I fancy a change of pace, I’ll stop, lift the front of the bike so the front wheel is off the ground and lock out the suspension, this raises the front end inc handlebars, I’ll continuing my ride a little mor relaxed ;)

Johnecybrid

Pedelecer
Feb 14, 2017
South west
Hi Gringo

Have some proper measurements now...
crown to centre of axle uncompressed 480mm
crown to centre of axle with a fat barsteward on it 450mm
so compresses 30mm.
What do you think?

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
The 27.5” tapered forks in your link should work well as they are 465mm just a little taller than your Current ride height.
if you’re forks have a lockout you could lock them at 465mm and go for a ride, then you’ll know what to expect from the carbon forks.

Reactions: D C

Johnecybrid

Pedelecer
Feb 14, 2017
South west
Thanks Gringo, that’s a great idea, I will give that a go.
That sellers feedback is terrible so will have a look around is see if I can find a more trustworthy one.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
do you have a shock pump? as it must be well low if you have never checked it. i run 190psi in mine.

Reactions: D C

Johnecybrid

Pedelecer
Feb 14, 2017
South west
Nope, no shock pump. They seem to work well enough and I don’t really intend to spend more money on them. I am hell bent on getting rigid forks now.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I think my forks are air/coil as I remember the guy in the shop pumping them up when I collected the bike
As soundwave says, after three years and almost seven thousand miles you are likely to need air.
I would advise checking the recommended pressure and try to borrow a shock pump, preferably one with a none return valve, then see if you like them any better.
Gringo's idea of trying them locked out is a good one and may save you an expensive mistake.
Dave.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

it really will make a massive difference or go to a lbs and im sure they would let you pump it up for free.

or nick one from halfords :p

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I’ve never had a problem with lockouts not working so can’t advise from personal experience.
I did however do a quick Google (rockshox fork lockout not working) and as I understand it, the lockout works by reducing/ stopping the flow of oil in the rebound damper, that’s problem you don’t need to address if you’re junking the forks anyway. The same goes for the shock pump, great if your riding with air forks but it won’t be much use when you get ridged forks.