Help! Replacement 36v battery for a Giant Suede

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
I bought the bike for only 175. Good price I think. Battery served me ok fir reasonable time but it's totally dead now. I'm agonizing over paying as much for new battery as the bike cost . But could anyone who's bought a 36v Li battery whatever ah give me the benefit of their experience with the battery and which suppliers they used ? Can I expect to get reasonable 10ah one for 150 ? Bearing in mind 10 miles range is adequate for me . Thanks in advance

Reactions: artspeck

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I've heard (other posts here) that Jimmy is cheapest if you have some unusual battery that is expensive, but that if you need a stock battery he's no cheaper than buying one. Also (again posts here) that he is temporarily short on cells and not taking on new jobs. Both of those hearsay, so check. I don't know how unusual the Giant Suede battery is.

Reactions: mikeconnect
D

Deleted member 33385

I bought the bike for only 175. Good price I think. Battery served me ok fir reasonable time but it's totally dead now. I'm agonizing over paying as much for new battery as the bike cost . But could anyone who's bought a 36v Li battery whatever ah give me the benefit of their experience with the battery and which suppliers they used ? Can I expect to get reasonable 10ah one for 150 ? Bearing in mind 10 miles range is adequate for me . Thanks in advance

I doubt if you'll find anything at around £150. This re-cell service looks interesting, I don't know how good they are and you would probably be better off with Jimmy (who seems to have a very good rep on this website):

If I were you, I'd choose long lasting cells for your re-cell. Jimmy seems to offer a choice, whereas that ebay seller doesn't.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
As your BB has probably gone, and it's expensive, it might be better to call it a day with this bike and put your money towards a 36v bike with standard Chinese parts.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Quote from a recent conversation with Jimmy about re-celling.
”Please note however that we are currently in the midst of a worldwide shortage of high quality 18650 Li-ion cells. Over the last few days we have been in contact with multiple, established suppliers who are all advising that they are out of stock of the cells we require and moreover, they do not know when they will be able to replenish their stock, with some speculating that the earliest they will have availability is May/June.

We are desperately trying to source alternative cells and we believe we will be able to import more stock in the coming weeks. However, as it currently stands, we have limited stock of our existing cells and we are using these up to fulfil new orders and re-cells
.”

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
yes, you can use any battery of the same nominal voltage connected to those two pins/wires.

if your battery is knackered, you might be able to buy a standard replacement cell-pack, that fits inside the case. You have to check the dimensions of the space inside the case to see which one/s might fit.

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
yes, you can use any battery of the same nominal voltage connected to those two pins/wires.

if your battery is knackered, you might be able to buy a standard replacement cell-pack, that fits inside the case. You have to check the dimensions of the space inside the case to see which one/s might fit.
Thanks. Yeh not found any cell replacement companies at right price . Only paid 175 for bike which I guess is good . And I've only seen such cells around 220 . I'm looking at german supplier recommended on here and that will mean rear rack battery

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire

By the way vfr whenever you have time would appreciate if u look at my post with photos on wobbly pedal crank spindle . can't get last part off

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
36v batteries charge to 42v, so 36v and 42v is the same thing. A 36v battery charger is 42v.
and by the time it is discharged enough that the BMS turns it off for protection it will be around 30v.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
With lithium any battery voltage is expressed as it's nominal voltage, nominal is the midway voltage value of approx. 50%.

24v is 29.4v/100% but can be taken down to about 21v.

48v is 54.6v/100% but can be taken down to about 40v.

Reactions: mikeconnect

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire

Vfr or anyone ... my head's spinning a bit ref battery spec.
I was recommended Yose Power so Using this battery in the link below , can I please ask
1. Are the different contacts shown on set up on this battery and discharger no problem as long as there are only 2 wires coming from the discharger? it quotes all kinds of names for compatibility but not giant.
2. Is there any conflict if the battery has its own on off switch and power indicator if you already have on off and power indicator on your handlebar throttle ?

3. For recelling option my existing is nimh with what looks like just 2 fuses inside see photo.
A. If I go for Li recell will it need a bms included?
B. Will the existing nimh charger be no good with Li recell ?
C. I dont see any recell service that can do 36v 10 or 12 mah for less than 200 then I need add a new charger cost . Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Everything on your bike will work normally if you have the correct voltage on those two red and black wires. Your controller doesn't care where it comes from. Every option is open to you as long as you get the correct voltage 24v or 36v.

Ready-made lithium cell-packs normally include a BMS, so no fuse is necessary. All you have to do is join the red and black power wires to the connector and the two charge wires to the charge connector the correct way round. If you go for a ready made battery, all you need to do is connect it's two output wires to the red and black ones.

As you already have fuses, you can join the wires there instead. It's optional and the same amount of work. The charging current isn't protected by the BMS, so it's best to keep the fuse if there's room for it. It should be a 5A one.

Most of the cell-packs I've seen come with a charger. Check the listings.

The most important thing is that the cell-pack can fit in the case. Also make sure that it can provide enough current. See what current is written on the controller.

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
Everything on your bike will work normally if you have the correct voltage on those two red and black wires. Your controller doesn't care where it comes from. Every option is open to you as long as you get the correct voltage 24v or 36v.

Ready-made lithium cell-packs normally include a BMS, so no fuse is necessary. All you have to do is join the red and black power wires to the connector and the two charge wires to the charge connector the correct way round. If you go for a ready made battery, all you need to do is connect it's two output wires to the red and black ones.

As you already have fuses, you can join the wires there instead. It's optional and the same amount of work. The charging current isn't protected by the BMS, so it's best to keep the fuse if there's room for it. It should be a 5A one.

The most important thing is that the cell-pack can fit in the case. Also make sure that it can provide enough current. See what current is written on the controller.
Thanks as always.
Guess I'd prefer cell pack in original case. Just not sure of quality of each suppliers cells. I assume that you you mean eBay listings and avoid Alibaba and it's like

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire

Like this for example. How do I know if the cell quality is good