Replacement battery for Fiido D4s

Jarndice

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 24, 2020
I love my Fiido D4s but the charge in the battery simply does not last as long as I would like,
The makers say the battery is not removable even though there are plenty of threads that suggest otherwise,
What I want to know is how difficult is it to remove the battery and connect to a replacement thereby saving my back from having to tote the bike up the stairs to my flat when if I could simply swap batteries I could leave the bike secure in the garage.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It can be done, but it's complicated and needs special parts that you can't buy. Search Youtube for videos on what's involved.

Jarndice

Nov 24, 2020
It can be done, but it's complicated and needs special parts that you can't buy. Search Youtube for videos on what's involved.
Thanks VFR (Always loved Hondas various 400s both faired and naked, True engineering).

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
The makers say the battery is not removable even though there are plenty of threads that suggest otherwise...
The battery is removable for replacement, but it's not designed for quickly changing to a second battery. But you can buy the "special parts" you'd need direct from Fiido (spare battery, discharge plate and charging lead - see their website). It's not that quick to change though.

Is there not a 240v supply you can tap into in your garage (even a lighting circuit is enough)? A solar panel on your garage roof (I put one on a garden shed roof for lighting & charging e-bikes - panel, old 12v car battery and 240v inverter)? Or maybe there's a lockable service cupboard on the ground floor of your block with sockets for the cleaners' vacuum cleaner in the communal hallway - you may get permission to store/charge your D4S in there if you ask (a friend does this).

Jarndice

Nov 24, 2020
Thank you for that, It is pretty much what I feared and my Garage is in a separate block with no electrical services in the immediate area.
Fiido would appear to have missed an opportunity for just a moments thought.
I suppose I was dreaming of something like a screw in plug and a snap on unit so that you unscrew the electrical connection, snap on a grip and withdraw the battery, swap the grip to the replacement, fit the battery and screw in the electrical connector, Simples.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I don't at all like batteries that are not easily removable. Even if you have power in your garage or wherever the bike is kept it is likely to be too cold for sensible charging during much of the winter.

Many ebikes seem to be following the same downward route as phones.

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
I don't at all like batteries that are not easily removable.

Samsung just bucked the trend with their Galaxy xcover pro. To encourage them i bought one.

• Informative
Reactions: sjpt

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
I don't at all like batteries that are not easily removable. Even if you have power in your garage or wherever the bike is kept it is likely to be too cold for sensible charging during much of the winter.

You can buy a 5V battery power bank sufficient to recharge a phone several times over for a few pounds. I have a 12V battery pack the size of a paperback that can jump start my Range Rover. Perhaps there is scope for an external portable battery pack to plug in & recharge an ebike with a non-removable battery?

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I have a 12V battery pack the size of a paperback that can jump start my Range Rover.
Those lithium jump starter packs (eg Noco Boost range) are designed to produce really high current but only in short bursts. They can't sustain a constant 12v output for very long. Their batteries are in reality titchy - sometimes only 24W of energy. The OP needs 374W.

Perhaps there is scope for an external portable battery pack to plug in & recharge an ebike with a non-removable battery?
There are lithium power packs used for RV and camping that would work. But a 500W one such as the popular Jackery with USB, 12v and 240 sine inverter costs £500... that's about the same as the OP's bike.

Jackery 500.jpg

A cheap way would be with an old car battery and an inverter, but the OP would still need to lug the car battery up and down the stairs to recharge that. It's likely more trouble than just carrying the bike up to his flat.

I'm not sure I'd be happy leaving an electric bike in a garage block away from a flat anyway - sooner or later a thief will likely notice.